Looking for reduced power .375 H&H loads

longship

Do any of you folks have any reduced power loads for the .375 H&H that you'd like to share? I'm real interested in any reduced loads that you've also found to be accurate. These will be fired from a Ruger 1H. Thanks for your experience.

longship

Whoops! sorry about that. I'm interested in reduced power loads for 235, 270, and 300 grainers. Would also like a reduced load for cast lead as well. I've now heard tale of a .38 caliber short range ball load for small game and plinking at 25 yards or so that I'm seeking info on just for kicks. Also, if anyone has worked up a reduced load for the new Nosler 260 grain ballistic tip that would be great also. Mostly, I'm looking to scale down a bit for east coast deer and to make life easier on my shoulder. :D

Paul B.

Longship. I like 49.0 gr. of IMR-4895 with a one gr. Dacron wad pushing a 270 gr. RCBS 37-250-FNGC cast bullet. Recoil is about like a .308 or 30-06 in nature and the loads will do 1.5 inches off the bench when I do my part. I've never gotten around to chronographing the load, but I'd estimate between 1800 and 2000 FPS. My rifle is a Ruger #1, the brass is Federal, and the primer is a Winchester WLR. It's been a good load for me. I use a neck sizing die and the brass has lasted for ten loads so far and shows no signs of quitting. I full length resize after every fifth loading and anneal the necks at that time as well. At the rate that brass is holding up, it seems it will last forever. :D FWIW. Most of my brass is Winchester that I use for full power loading. I only have that one box of Federal brass, and I don't even know where it came from. I think I picked it up at the range one day. Yes, you do have to resight the rifle.
Anyway, that's my contribution to your question.
Paul B.

Kaboom

Speer 13 shows 30 gr. of SR4759 with a 235 gr. at 1701 fps.
They also show a 35gr. SR4759 with a 286 gr. at 1671. Should give you a place to start. Lyman 47th will have cast loads.

longship

Thanks guys, this is great information. Any chance the Lyman book is on-line somewhere that I haven't found in a search yet?

jem375

longship.....I shoot the hornady 220 gr FP in my 375JDJ at supposedly 2250-2300 fps(haven't chronoed it yet)..that bullet is just great on deer sized game....I think if you contacted JD Jones at SSk Industries, he could give you a load to try in your 375 H&H.....

longship

Yep, I did bring up the cast lead source/loadings issue before but was now seeking more pervasive info to include jacketed loadings and this thread has been very informative. Thank you all very much.

Is the Hornady 220 FP you guys are talking about a jacketed or lead bullet?

Don. you said, "Do NOT use any cases that you used for reduced loads for your full power loads". Please explain why.

MADISON

Reduced power .375 H&H loads

The best thing I can tell you to do is find a LEE Loading manual and read pages 90 through 93. Get the address and send them $5 for a program that allows you to use your currant powder and achieve the velocity you want. I asked them to E-Mail me the program and they said mail order only.
MADISON

jem375

The Hornady 5th edition reloading manual has 3 reduced loads for the 375 H&H Mag......Page 483 with 220-225 gr. bullets...
powders used are SR4759, H4227, and AA5744.......shows velocity from 2000 fps to 2300 fps.........Just like DonQatU wrote in his post..........