Looking for my first revolver

scorpion_tyr

I've had semiauto's since my 21st birthday. I've fired a few revolvers but they never really felt good to me. I've fired my dad's Ruger GP 100 .357 a couple of times and I like the gun but it feels awkward and unbalanced in my hands, it's heavy as hell and still kicks like a mule. (Not saying anything bad about the gun, my Dad can do really good with it and has never had any problems) I've now decided to buy at least one revolver to add some variety to my collection and possibly use for home defense. I was hoping some of you guys could help. Here's what I'm looking for and so far none of my local retailers seem to have anything I like. I'm not really looking for a carry gun so concealment isn't an issue.

.357 Mag or thereabouts

4" Barrell

6 shot capacity

Matte Black or similar

DA/SA (Is that the correct way to refer to it for a revolver? I want a hammer)

3 Dot sight (similar to my autos) nightsights would be nice, but not necessary

A grip that's long enough for my pinky to fit onto it, but thin enough for my wife to fire if she had to.

Accessory rail... if that even exist, heard some did.

$600 or less

Maybe I'm being to picky. I'd really like to get into revolvers so I'm hoping to find one I like. If some of you guys can point me in a good direction I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

ChicagoTex

S&W makes a couple "Thunder Ranch special" revolvers in .45 ACP and .357 Magnum with accessory rails, but they hover around $1100 in price.

I don't know of any revolver currently produced that comes standard with three-dot sights. The most common is a white-outline rear and a color-inserted front (usually red). These, of course, are changeable by a competent gunsmith to almost anything you'd want.

Grip customizability is probably the best thing about revolvers (since they don't have to wrap around magazines), any mid-size revolver should strike the balance you need.

S&W makes (and has made) a variety of revolvers in matte black finishes. Ruger has a matte "traget grey" stainless they offer from time to time that I also really like.

Your price requirement is a little sticky if you're shopping new. It'll get you a Ruger or a Taurus (but trust me, don't get a Taurus) but it puts most S&Ws out of reach. Colts are also pricey and somewhat rare.

If you shop used, most S&Ws fall into your price range - the trick is finding what you want, you can also get cracking good deals on used Rugers but the only revolver they make that fits your criteria is the GP100, which apparently you don't like.

Dan Wesson used to make some exceptional DA revolvers for the money, if you can come across one stamped manufactured in Monson, Mass and you like it, don't hesitate to pick it up.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it sounds to me like you don't really like revolvers and you're just trying to convince yourself to buy one "just because". Why not put that off until you're really ready for and wanting a revolver? They're not going away anytime soon.

johnnypi45

Ok man....here's about the closest thing you'll find that fits as many of your criteria as you'll be able to find. S&W 327 M&P R8. It has a 5 in. barrel, accessory rail, da/sa, black matte finish, v-notch style combat sights, etc. Takes 8 rounds on moon clips. With all of these plusses, however, i feel you may not end up liking it. For one, it is built on the S&W large frame. Some swear by them, some, not so much. That's something you are going to have to decide on your own. I would suggest renting as many as you can (if able). Secondly, msrp on this bad boy is $1335.00. That's enough to not make me really even think about it as a sidearm. While cool, i feel it's kind of a novelty and would rather spend my money on something that is more appropriate to me.

Now that i'm done with my soapbox, i will try to give you some suggestions. +1 on the medium frame style. I think both you and your wife can find a grip setup that you both can be comfortable with. In 4", they balance well, shoot comfortably, and can be had in about any config. or finish you can imagine. Look around, shop around, and i think you'll find something you like. Hope this helps some, and i have discouraged you too much:). Happy shooting!

Petey

Shadi Khalil

I've fired my dad's Ruger GP 100 .357 a couple of times and I like the gun but it feels awkward and unbalanced in my hands, it's heavy as hell and still kicks like a mule.

I really doesnt fit the bill. Look at S&W, I too would have said Ruger if I didnt read your thread.

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it sounds to me like you don't really like revolvers and you're just trying to convince yourself to buy one "just because". Why not put that off until you're really ready for and wanting a revolver? They're not going away anytime soon.

I agree. I started out with revolvers and kinda forced a my first semi-auto on myself. I really didnt like it and it turned me off autos for a while.

Cerick

GP 100 sounds like the one that you want. Try firing your dad's revolver again to make sure. Smiths are out of your price range but I too want an M&P R8!

if you dont like the kick of the gp100, i wouldnt get a .357. I consider the recoil to be very managable on those. Or if you get a heavier .357, load .38 to counter the kick. i've always had a thing for the .45 colts, just a suggestion, but i think they are fun.

Keltyke

Find a good used S&W 4" Model 19. Even with full power 158 gr. magnum loads, the kick is VERY manageable, especially with the target grips. S&W wrote the book on .357s with this one.

skydiver3346

S&W Model 19 is my choice

I agree with Keltyke, Mod. 19 is the best choice and resonably priced too. Very accurate and dependable. Always with good resale value. . Pretty hard to beat as far as .357 magnums go.

scorpion_tyr

Here's an update: A friend of mine let me handle his Ruger New Model Blackhawk. I was reluctant at first because the "old fashioned" look didn't appeal to my eyes, however the grip and the feel of it overall was amazing! Not at all what I was looking for, but I really liked it. His is a .357 that also shoots 9mm or .38 spl. I've seen that they also make a .45 colt that can shoot .45 ACP. I'm going to try to find an S&W 686 to handle as well, but so far I'm sold on the Ruger. I'm not sure if I want the .45 or the .357. Any opinions? Also do they happen to make something very similar in DA/SA? I'd like DA, but I can get over it.

scorpion_tyr

Already did that and didn't find anything that appealed to me, but the local retailer only had like 6-7 models. I gotta find a better gun store.

engineer88

Smith 686 all the way. Probably the finest .357 revolver you are gonna find in your price range.

Oh yeah and you can always put a Hogue grip on it...

Keltyke

I'm not sure if I want the .45 or the .357

What are you gonna use it for?

The .357 magnum packs a much harder punch than either the .45 Colt or .45 ACP. You have the options of shooting .38 spcl. or .38 spcl. +p in it, too.

chrisp0410

I agree that you need to find a better gun shop. Here are my thoughts:

Handle as many different makes and models as possible.

For all-around use, the .357 Magnum is hard to beat. You can buy factory loads in everything from a target waddcutter/cowboy loads in .38SPL cases that kick like your first toy cap gun all the way up to 180 grain deer and black bear (with proper shot placement) killers and everything in between. From target shooting to Self Defense and Police applications to hunting, there are probably more available load combinations for a .357 magnum/.38SPL revolver than any other firearm ever in existance.

The compromise for pointability, weight, recoil management and ergonomics will usually fall to a medium sized revolver in the Ruger GP100 or S&W K or L Frame size.

S&W K (such as the Model 19) and L (such as the Model 686) frame revolvers have so many aftermarket grip choices you can custom taylor the fit to your hand.

Because of the sheer number of medium frame .357 Magnum revolvers that have been and continue to be made, with a slight amount of searching, you will find one within your price constraints.

OK, with my generic advice said, I will recommend either a S&W Model 19/66 (which is either Blue/Stainless) or a Model 586/686. You have already stated you didn't like your relative's GP100 so I woun't try to resell you on that one even though it is a good choice. If you like the feel of the Ruger Blackhawk grip, then look at the Pachmayr Presentation aftermarket grip as it is similar in shape.

Good luck.

Chrisp0410

BillCA

On the used market, the S&W Model 19 with a 4" or 6" barrel will probably be a good buy for you. Loaded with .38 Special +P for home defense it is hard to beat. The .357 Magnums are a bit too much for home defense, IMO. But they can be used for game or when you need the extra power. The stainless steel version is the Model 66.
M19-24s.jpg

S&W Model 19 - six shot .357 Magnum with target grips.

If the GP-100's recoil bothered you, it might be about the same with the Model 19. Stepping up from the M19 is the aforementioned Model 686. On the used market, you can often find a larger framed .357, the Model 28 Highway Patrolman, which will dampen the .357 recoil considerably.
M28_03.jpg

S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman - .357 Magnum

S&W makes several .45ACP revolvers on their large frame that are easy to shoot. The stainless 625 shoots .45ACP on moon clips out of a 5-inch barrel with low recoil. The older 6-1/2" Model 25 barely has any recoil, even with +P loads and is a tackdriver out to 50 yards.
M25Duo.jpg

S&W Model 25's - standard 6-inch and customized 3-inch
shown with moon and half-moon clips.

The Model 625 makes a fine "house gun" using the lower velocity .45ACP round, which also has a good reputation for stopping people.

vytoland

check out some of the on line gun auction web sites for used S&W model 686. top quality, easy to handle, fires .357 or .38 special or .38 +p. its an all in one...........plinking, hunting, self defense.

Smaug

Revolvers do seem to kick more, as there is no slide & spring to soften up the hit. You're probably referring to Magnum loads that kick like a mule in your old man's GP-100. You don't have to shoot magnums, except for hunting.

I would recommend a GP-100 or Redhawk, but you don't seem to like your old man's GP.

The heaviness helps tame the recoil. If it were lighter and better balanced, it would kick even more.

Another thing that surprised me about revolvers is that they are harder to clean. 5-8 chambers instead of one, and the mess gets spit everywhere around the barrel-cylinder gap.

Long barreled revolvers are potentially more accurate than autos, since the barrel stays put. You don't have to chase brass around, which is nice if you reload. You can shoot truly powerful ammo with them. In autos, there's the 10mms and the Desert Beagles and everything else is weak by comparison to magnum revolvers.

You should buy some ammo and borrow your dad's GP for a while. See if you start to take a liking to it. Find out whether it is just the GP that you don't like, or is it revolvers in general?

If not, you'll have saved yourself several hundred dollars, and you can try the next thing. Sporting clays with a shotgun, rifle shooting of some sort, competition pistol shooting, etc.

Smith & Wessons feel better in some folks' hands, but they're not as durable as Rugers. They do have better triggers from the factory though, and more classic looks.