LOOKING FOR MOST FOR THE MONEY 40 WITH ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoinchgroup52

Looking for an inexpensive 40 S&W that is reliable, made well, esthetically pleasing and has adjustable sights. Does such an animal exist or am I asking for too much??

steve j

I recommend a witness (about $290) and a mec-gar adjustable sight (about $35). According to brownells, the mec-gar adjustable rear sight fits the factory dovetail and uses the factory front sight. I have a witness .40 with a bo-mar rear sight. The bo-mar also fit the factory dovetail, but I think I paid about $70 for it.

Ben

Ruger P-94 and add adjustable sigths. I saw the gun recently for $289.00.

Very reliable gun, but it is "full size."

Ben

------------------
Besides, I didn't become a "Senior Member" by just sitting around!

"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Rob96

I would also recommend the Ruger P-94. I have checked this pistol out and it is very nice. The only thing that kept me from it was the feel of the trigger. Also you could check out the S&W Model 410. Some people will scoff at this, but my Model 909 in 9mm is one hell of a performer for the money.

JERKY

I dont personally favor ruger, but ill have to agree with Ben on this one. Seems ruger owners are pretty happy with their guns.

Dont forget to check out taurus. they are pretty good guns for the price and come in some very nice finishes. Be aware of the really shiny ones though. I visited a gun shop last week and saw a new taurus there with the shiny finish(nickel/chrome?) flaking off of the de-cocker and slide lock. If you are going to spend $300 on a ruger you may want to look around for a high quality used firearm. Of course a good rule in buyin used is to have a gunsmith give the gun a good look over before buying.( a good gunsmith can detect abuse or wear that you may not) Either with a new luger or other, dont buy it uless you really do like the gun. Shoot it first and give yourself a week to think about it and look around. I made the mistake of buying a firestar because it was low priced and looked good. It shot like hell, the finish wore off and began to rust and the firing pin broke after 100 rounds.

Things like this are not what you bargain for. So be cautious and have fun looking for the .40 cal you are going to enjoy for years with as little problems as possible.

Let us know what you get. and have fun looking.

------------------
TIM : )

JERKY

ROB,

I agree, the S&W 410 is a great economy gun. I love the 4006 but thats the more expensive of the lineup. The are great shooters and well built. Keep that in mind while shopping "2inchgroup"

------------------
TIM : )

twoinchgroup52

Thanks for the input. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the MRI Baby Eagle in 40 S&W? On their web site it shows a retail price of $389.

steve j

The baby eagle is a CZ-75 clone as is the EAA witness. I have not held one but I hear they are fine guns.

Rugers are excellent and reliable pistols, they just feel like a brick in my hand and don't seem to "point" well for me.

An additional plus for the CZ-75 and clones is that aftermarket performance parts are readily available since CZ's and clones were commonly used in IPSC shooting. Barrels, compensators, caliber conversion kits, single action and double action triggers, ambi-safeties, sights, extended mag. releases, 22 rimfire conversions, etc. can be easily had.

steve j

Aftermarket adjustable sights are available to fit the dovetail of cz-75's and clones. Mec-gar sights are available from brownells or ajax. They seem to be pretty good adjustable sights. I picked one up for my witness 9mm but haven't installed it yet. A few years ago in Denny's shooters supply book they listed a bo-mar sight cut to fit the cz-75 dovetail. I put one of those on my .40 witness. B0-mar may still make the sight if you call. I believe they called it the bo-mar bmcz.

Status
Not open for further replies.