Looking for Metal Targets for Hand Gun and Rifles, Something fun for the kids.

Joe.G

Hi, I would like to pick up some metal targets that would be fun for the kid's to shoot, I am looking for something that can handle Rifles/Handguns and Rimfire's. If you guys could please post of links of ones you like. Thank you.

rickyrick

Well, targets meant for handguns aren’t always compatible with rifles and vice versa.

I was shooting steel with a 9mm and a bullet bounced back and hit me in the shin, it only broke the skin a little. But it made me stop doing that.

Store bought targets list the compatible cartridges, at least they do the last time I purchased one.

HiBC

Many places to shoot (if they are not private land) have outlawed targets like cans. I guess the logic is those often get left behind.

Another consideration is ground targets at close range can "skip" like a flat rock thrown at water. Projectiles can gain enough elevation to go over the top of the backstop.

I don't have to be in favor of rules to understand where they come from.

One ground reactive target that may work for you is the HD Polyethylene geometric shapes (ball,cube,etc) that move when hit.

A steel target that can provide a lot of fun is a dueling tree. Two people can have a lot of fun even with two single shot 22's. Crickets or Chipmunks are ideal. Its a bit like playing tether ball. You win by slapping all the targets to your opponents side. The 22 rimfire version is reasonably affordable.

A matched pair of 22 single shots an a brick of 22 ammo can be a lot of fun.(For adults,too)

A favorite reactive target of mine is to just take a 20 in or so length of lumber and rip a 3/8 in or so deep saw kerf groove the length of it.

It will hold up a number of saltines or Ritz crackers. Whoever owns the land has to OK the cracker crumbs you will leave. Rain,bugs,birds,etc will take them pretty soon. Pick up the big pieces.

Any steel target will generate SOME splashback, Anyone at the firing line could get struck. In any case, shooting glasses (eye protection) is important when you take a kid shooting.

ballardw

+1 on the dueling tree if the children are of an age to use such. Do pay attention to minimum range!

I like to use Wafer Creme cookies for targets as they can come in some obnoxious pink and other colors for easy target identification.

jmhyer

+1 on the dueling tree suggestions

Keep in mind that there is a difference between trees for rimfire and trees for centerfire calibers. The paddles on the tree built for centerfire calibers will be too heavy to swing to the other side when struck by a rimfire projectile. Paddles on a tree built for rimfire calibers will slap too aggressively and unpredictably when struck by a rimfire projectile. Plus, the rimfire paddle may be damaged by a centerfire projectile.

And most centerfire trees are intended for pistol calibers rather than high-powered rifle calibers...unless perhaps you back it out to 100 yards or so. Even then, I'm not sure if the tree would function properly.