Looking for info on old .22

ndking1126

I was recently was given this old .22 and am hoping you can help me understand how old it is, etc. I understand Western Field rifles to be more of a lower end model, but is it at all rare? It shows its age (see last pic), but overall it seems to be in reasonable shape. The 4x Mossberg scope sure is cloudy though!! There was no magazine with the rifle. The wood looks better in person than it does in the pictures. Any input is appreciated!

Last edited:

Pahoo

Mossberg-Store brand

I can tell you that it was made by Mossberg and it's what is known as a Store-Brand. If the bore is still good, there is plenty of miles left in this old bird. Now then, one source of dating is the store-brand section of the BlueBook. I'll bet by now, you can find the cross-reference on the internet. I'm thinking that there is a model number on the barrel that can be used for your search. My SWAG on the date, is the 50's. I'm thinking a model number in the 200's. See is you can also find a Mossberg forum/website and perhaps they can help. Not too long ago, I had to replace a trigger guard like this and found a parts website. …. :)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

"...more of a lower end model..." Not necessarily. Western Field was just a brand name for Montgomery Ward. Most of 'em were made by Mossberg(Savage and Marlin as well) with the WF name and model on 'em.
The WF model number matters for ID purposes. Gunparts has a cross reference page.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/brand-cross-reference
The scope is probably as old as the rifle and has been "rode hard and put away wet". Gotta stop reading those western novels.

ndking1126

Pahoo, I can't find anything else on the metal except for what is in the picture 14M-497B. Using the link T put up, it shows as a Mossberg M42. I haven't found anything about date yet, and maybe I won't because there is no serial number?

I was surprsied to find Havlin Sales and Service website. They have a lot of parts for this rifle. Not sure if they are new manufacture or if they collect used, but it looks like I may be able to get this back in good working condition, if I choose to. I'm not one for keeping firearms I won't use, so we'll see. Thanks!

Pahoo

Keep looking !!

I am indicating that it might be a the same as a Mossberg 142. You are going to have to do some digging. Below is the Website where I found my trigger guard. My trigger guard was a remake, new. ... :)

https://www.havlinsales.com/

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

Mossberg M42 Confirmed ???

I was able to find an older copy of the Blue-Book and yes, your number converts to a Mossberg (M42). Stands to reason that is discontinued and the Alpha prefix on this states that it is similar to the model-K and is showing a date of 1928-1931. Understand that this is a Store-Brand so not identical but similar to the Mossberg. There is some confusing information so I would guess that yours was made in the 1940's. Through the years, I've restored a hand-full of these old boys and they are excellent underrated rifles. ….. :)

Have fun and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited: