Looking for Flash/Weapon Light Suggestions...

Here is the background. A buddy of mine is looking into getting a good flashlight that will serve as a part time flashlight and part time night hunting light on his rifle. He likes my Olight Warrior M20 Premium (250 lumens, 1" body tube, various brightness settings) as it seems to fit the job description. However, I understand there may be better lights out there now for the same $100 or comparable lights for less money and I am not current on the new models. So the brightness is critical and the ability to easily mount it on a rifle is also critical (hence the 1" tube that makes the lights readily adapted to 1" quick release scope rings and the like). I think $100 may be stretching his budget, hence his hesitation in getting an Olight even though he has used mine and likes it.

Any suggestions?

And yes, I have surfed candlepowerforum and they are wonderful for the information provided there (sometimes way too much!), but often not weapon-oriented in their considerations, hence my query here.

Swampghost

Here we're only allowed to hunt from sunup to sundown.

As far as walking around with a light, it just screws up your night vision and alerts every animal to your position. My bad eyes only deal with acuity, not light accumulation. I can see pretty well in the dark with my glasses.

I do carry a very small LED flashlight for emergencies that uses a single AA battery and has a removeable red lens JIC.

sparkly_flea

Maybe more than you want to spend but this is a relatively new one on the market that looks very promising.

Elzetta ZFL-M60

The LED portion is provided by Gene Malkoff of Malkoff Devices. I own several of his drop-ins and their quality and performance is top notch. I would expect nothing less of his partnership with Elzetta.

You may also want to peruse Gene's site for various drop-ins that fit Surefire or other P60 hosts like the 6P(L), G2(L), C2, etc. Gene is also making hosts for his drop-ins now and they are pretty slick as well. These are the MD2 and also on his site. One of these plus a drop-in is right at $100.

No affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.

fisherman66

DNS,

I'm 'fraid I'm not going to be much of a help either, but I do think I can direct you to a better source.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

This is a forum dedicated to LED lights. With rifle recoil, I would not trust a filament wire to last very long. There is a new "quad-die" led that is putting out over 600 lumens. Another issue to consider. A floody light is going to waste much of the output. Your friend needs a tight beam (throw is the light geek word).

A marketplace for high intensity LEDs.
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.925

Last edited:

JimK66

Flashlights

I just purchased a Fenix P3D today at the gunshow. It looks pretty impressive after an initial inspection after I got home. U Tube had a nice videio on it as well.
JimK