Looking for date info on Iver Johnson Owls Head .22

weaselfire

Can't seem to find much on this model and much of the stamping is worn. Serial under the grip is 36780 and it also has the number 655 stamped under the grip, separate from the serial. The full serial is also on the trigger guard. No letters anywhere. Patent dates are on butt, but worn. Might be Mar 16 95 and Dec something.

The Owls Head is facing the front of the pistol, more toward the trigger than the barrel it seems. 7 shot 22, has been shot regularly with .22 LR and mechanically is good. Hammer spring is flat leaf, not coiled. My best guess is 1911-1913, but have no real clue.

Don't care about value, it's a project gun to learn on so its value to me is what I paid for it balanced by the knowledge gained. I have ordered Bill Goforth's book but it hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Carmady

If the serial number is all digits (no letter prefix) it's an early one made for black powder. It sounds like you have a Model 1900, I would guess 1902-1903 for yours. NOT recommended for smokeless powder ammo (maybe CB Shorts if you can find them). You're probably rolling the dice firing modern ammo in it.

No letter prefix = 1900-1908

Letter D prefix = 1909-1917

Letter A prefix = 1918-1941

Does it say "Model 1900" on the top strap?

Last edited:

weaselfire

Not that I can see. The gun has been scrubbed pretty hard with some chemical and the top strap shows "..cle works" and "Fitchburg Mass, USA" on it.

I do know the previous owner has been shooting it regularly and keeping it clean and lubed, but he had no history on it either.

Thanks for the info, I have the Iver Johnson book on order.

Jeff