Looking for "contraption"

kraigwy

Don't know what its called or even if one exist.

OK for most of my pistol stuff I use a Dillon RL 1000, not problem it does everything.

But for some weird stuff, such as the 1895 Nagant 7.62X38R I use lee dies and a truant press. On Lee pistol dies you have a "belling" die to bell straight wall cases. This die is hollow so you can charge the powder while belling the case. Except you got to take the case out of the shell holder, charge it with powder, put it back in the shell holder to seat the bullet.

I want a mound for the powder measure to dump the powder while you are belling the case.

Seems simple enough but I cant find one. Any body have any ideals??

emirikol

unless the dillon needs special dies, a standard Lee 32-20 powder through expanding die works great belling and charging 7.62 nagant cases in one step.

cracked butt

This die is hollow so you can charge the powder while belling the case. Except you got to take the case out of the shell holder, charge it with powder, put it back in the shell holder to seat the bullet.

Lee Powder Through Expanding Die. You don't have to remove the case from the die to charge the powder- you simply set a funnel in the top of the die and dump in the powder. You can also unscrew the top of the die and screw on a Lee Autodisc pro which is case-actuated.

kraigwy

Maybe I didn't explain it very well.

What I want is something to mount the powder measure over the die so I can dump the powder when I bell the case.

And yes the 32-20 belling die is the die that comes with the Lee Dies for the Nagant 7.62X38R.

But I other dies that it would work on also.

FrankenMauser

You can also unscrew the top of the die and screw on a Lee Autodisc pro which is case-actuated.
Or mount a Dillon powder measure in the Turret press, for more precise metering. (You're not stuck trying to make the most of fixed-volume discs.)

But... if KragWy is just looking for a mount for his existing powder measure, to attach to the Turret press; I know of no such beast.

You could try making one out of 1/8" or 1/4" steel strap.

kraigwy

FM I think you're right, I'm gonna have to make one.

I want to mount my RCBS Measure on the die to drop powder as I bell the case.

wogpotter

Dillon makes an adapter to use non-Dillon powder measures with their powder through expander die, would that work? Basically its a tube with lock screws to grab the top of the Dillon die with standard threads in the top to screw the powder measure into.

Jim243

I want to mount my RCBS Measure on the die to drop powder as I bell the case.

You have me totally confused! You are using Lee dies and the top does not come off the "Powder Through" die? I know that RCBS measures will just screw into the powder through die. And then you are putting that in a Dillon?

Now there's a combination.

This is what It looks like when set up.

Jim
IMG_1292.jpg

kraigwy

Jim, if I screw off the top on the die, will it screw up the "belling swedge"?

I dont use many Lee dies, just got them for this Nagant revolver.

FrankenMauser

Kraig, take a look at the Dillon product wogpotter suggested. The concept might be a better solution than steel strap. ...You might even be able to make one out of clear tubing, to see the powder flow.

Jim243 said:
I know that RCBS measures will just screw into the powder through die
My Uniflow won't screw into the Lee PTE I've got, or any of the PTE dies my brothers own. Are you using some kind of adapter?

Jim243

First, no it does not screw up the belling. Inside the "powder through die" is a little sleeve that travels up and down to activate the Lee Auto Disk, this also imparts the amount of belling based on how high or low you have the die set in whatever you are using for a press, single, turret or progressive. It is a feature of the lee powder through dies. Now the "powder through" dies only come with the lee die sets for pistol. They have a seperate die you can purchase for rifle (powder through) but it does not bell the case.

You can use the powder through die just as it comes and it will bell the case and the top can be left on and a powder funnel will sit right inside the top of the die for loading powder by hand. Or you can remove the top part of the die along with the o'ring and screw in any powder measure that will screw directly into any make press or powder through die. Since I only use the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto Disk measures I am a little at a loss on others, I do know the Lyman 55 will fit. But the others that screw into a die should fit as well without an adapter.

I hope this helps.
Jim

FrankenMauser

Or you can remove the top part of the die along with the o'ring and screw in any powder measure that will screw directly into any make press or powder through die. Since I only use the Auto-Disk and Pro Auto Disk measures I am a little at a loss on others, I do know the Lyman 55 will fit. But the others that screw into a die should fit as well without an adapter.

That's where the confusion is coming from. The Lyman 55 and Lee measures use different body sizes and thread patterns than the other common powder measures.

Hornady, RCBS, and Redding (and some others) use the standard 7/8"-14 thread pattern. They are too big to to screw into the Lee PTE dies.

Kraig-
Taking the top nut/funnel off the PTE die without having a Lee (possibly the Lyman 55) powder measure installed will render the die inoperable. The expander funnel ("swedge") will have nothing to stop its travel at the top of the stroke, and won't expand the case mouth.

alloy

Different than what you need, but I guess the plastic drop tube in your RCBS and mine were the same.
I turned one out of stainless. the threads going into the RCBS measure are standard, nothing special needed to make an adapter except access to a lathe. It slips down into the die snugly(this actually spins in the die but a set screw from the side would fix that)

pict0280.jpg