Looking for CCW. .40 or .45 Pros and Cons

worldishis

Im looking for a new CCW for me and Im not sure what to get. Ive never shot a .40 before, but I do have experience with .45's.

A appreciate that I should find out which one suits me, but on flip side of that Id like to know, in your experience, what works for you.

The recoil on a poylemor .45 I can handle so thats not a concern.

So let me know my people!

JDG

Love my G23! Light, reliable, high capacity, accurate, light:D Any caliber that starts with a 4, will be plenty.

Oh...Welcome to TFL!

worldishis

Thanks JDG looks like great forum, lots of people... I like that.

Now the glocks are obviously something that I am considering. Now just to be clear, Glock DOES offer a manual safety that disengages the firing pin, right? The ones Ive had experience with did not have this feature (govn. isssued). Now I know its a d/a trigger thats relatively heavy, so the chance of a accidental discharge is slim, but still there. They also have that trigger safety too right?

Maybe its because I grew up without a whole lot of money, but I could never carry something as expensive and nice as a Kimber:D I would constantly be taking it out to see if Ive scratched it. Really Im looking for something I can pick up for 600 max on gunbroker. But your post brings me to the question of, how are those 3" barrels for accuracy? I mean yours is a Kimber so its gonna be more accurate (im assuming) already then your glocks and comparables. I would like something that I can shoot decently at 20 yards.

What about the XD line at springfield. Ive heard they make accurate reliable poylemers, and they look nice too. Anybody have experience with these?

Im leaning towards the .40. For two reasons really, because they will fit a couple more bullets in the clip and the target acquisition would be a bit faster with the less recoil.

Wild_Card

no glock has a manual safety other than the one between you ears lol. i thought this was a bad thing once but after thinking it threw i prefear the glock way. to many AS/AD's happen because someone thought the safty way on. with glock it gets drilled into your head not to pull the trigger unless you want it to fire. Also with a manual safty you forget to turn it off at just the wrong time. just IMO

Wild_Card

o and i also think the G23 is a good choice. i have the G32 wich is just a G23 that fires 357sig and i love it.

JDG

XDs are good guns, a little bulkier than a Glock, and the grip feels better. Still no safety, assuming your holding the gun correctly. The trigger is better on the Glocks (IMO) I've seen aftermarket manual safeties for the Glock, but personally, I don't want a safety on my carry gun. One thing to remember, Springfield won't sell you parts for the XD, they want your gun back. If your a backyard gunsmith, you wont be able to get your own parts.:)

worldishis

Well I think Ive found an option that has the others beat. Feel free to tell me Im stupid for thinking it, just tell me why you think Im stupid too, please!;)

I have found a dealer for the Certified Pre Owned Sigs, and they're selling the P229 in .40 for 525.00 delivered. I cant argue with this. I would trust my life with a Sig just as much as a Glock, and it would be... dare I say, more accurate?

TO HELL AND BACK RELIABILITY BABY, YEAH!!