Looking for another handgun

HistoryJunky

It's not really for any particular purpose. I'm looking for something that has a 3 or 4 inch barrel. It has to have an ambidextrous safety. Under $600. Hammer fired, preferably single stack.

I can't think of any guns with all of these qualities off hand. I like the Sig 239 but it doesn't have an ambi-safety and is a good bit above budget.

I like CZ75's as I own a CZ-85B, but I can't think of any CZ models(even double stack) that have an ambi-safety except the P07.

A Commander length 1911 could be the solution, but again not a lot are available from the factory with an ambi-safety.

As usual, I'm looking for some suggestions.

Caliber is wide open. Right now all I have are 2 9mm pistols.

Targa

You can add an ambi safety to a 1911 easy enough. Also, obviously not a single stack but 92 series Beretta's have ambidextrous safeties. Since you already have 2 9mm's my money would go to a 1911 and if I had to have it I would just add a ambi safety.

HistoryJunky

I have thought about getting a 1911. As a person with small hands, I have always been drawn to them. I just always end up getting something else. Ammo cost is a big deterrent when talking about .45ACP.

I have considered the Beretta 92 as well, but I consider it to be most unfriendly with my small hands. My CZ-85B is pretty much at the upper limit of what I can get my hands around/to the trigger. I shoot it almost exclusively in single action for that reason.

I suppose I'm not looking for another big boat anchor of a handgun. Just a fairly small, fairly thin 4" hammer fired 9mm with an ambi-safety.

lee n. field

It's not really for any particular purpose. I'm looking for something that has a 3 or 4 inch barrel. It has to have an ambidextrous safety. Under $600. Hammer fired, preferably single stack.

Any particular chambering you're looking for?

Bersa Thunder Ultra Carry fits most of what you want.

Ammo cost is a big deterrent when talking about .45ACP.

I handload all the .45ACP I use.

my small hands

OK, the Ultra Carry may not be the gun for you, then.

I have thought about getting a 1911. As a person with small hands, I have always been drawn to them. I just always end up getting something else. Ammo cost is a big deterrent when talking about .45ACP.

9mm 1911. Rock Island 9mm, medium or compact. Get the "Tactical" version, or have Rock Island add an ambi safety to a GI.

HistoryJunky

Yes having small hands is a big limiter. There are a lot of handguns I love the aesthetics and features of but cannot shoot them well due to size/trigger reach.

I am not dead set on arriving at a commander length 1911 or a CZ P01, but that's my two leading options.

Of course, since it's not a needed gun, I can always just buy something else different entirely.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

lee n. field

Yes having small hands is a big limiter.

And why you don't want to buy sight unseen. I got a Bersa .45 from a guy who had, that ended up being too big for his hands. I compared hands with him. His fingers reached a half inch less than mine.

kmw1954

Don't know if you'd be interested in a 380 but the Beretta 85 Cheetah comes to mind. 4" single stack with ambidextrous safety and hammer fired.

P71pilot

Since you are limited to $600 i would not get a 1911. Although i think you would absolutely love one. I am thinking a sig SP2022 but they have very large grips and probably would not suit you well, especially in .40

Who needs hammers and safeties anyways? Try a walther ppq

HistoryJunky

Since you are limited to $600 i would not get a 1911. Although i think you would absolutely love one. I am thinking a sig SP2022 but they have very large grips and probably would not suit you well, especially in .40

Who needs hammers and safeties anyways? Try a walther ppq
It's a personal preference. I just have no love for the striker guns.

sigarms228

HK P30SK. It comes from factory with 10 round magazines but you can use 13 and 15 round magazines with X-Grip extenders. Has changeable back straps AND palm inserts.

HistoryJunky

HK P30SK. It comes from factory with 10 round magazines but you can use 13 and 15 round magazines with X-Grip extenders. Has changeable back straps AND palm inserts.
I have considered the HK. I was looking for something bigger size wise, but thinner in the grip.

Cyanide971

If you are looking for a smaller DA/SA single stack, have you possibly considered something older in the form of a 3rd Gen S&W like the 3913/3914?

HistoryJunky

If you are looking for a smaller DA/SA single stack, have you possibly considered something older in the form of a 3rd Gen S&W like the 3913/3914?

I have considered getting one. They are not something that pops up too often in my area. What is the price range of those models? I know they are no longer made.

Cyanide971

There are a whole bunch available on Gunbroker, as well as the 3953 DAO model, seems they usually go between $300 – $400

HistoryJunky

There are a whole bunch available on Gunbroker, as well as the 3953 DAO model, seems they usually go between $300 – $400
I will have to research the different models a little more and make a consideration.

Do those models have an overly thick/long grip for a single stack handgun?

Cyanide971

HJ, here are a few pictures I found online from various other gun forums that might help. I don't yet have one myself, but that will most likely change in the near future (3953), as I really like the way it feels in my hand (I currently have a 5943 SSV). Anyway, here are the photographs:

3913 and Beretta Cougar

af8e3948ce3233427836b68c86ba1394.jpg

3913 and Shield

36a70d39931abf6a205c54ab5d064125.jpg

3913 and Glock 43

ea4e842cdee20b569dc412d41122af56.jpg

3913 and Ruger LC9

c9df770d42266afe946d9179171d7561.jpg

3913 and Kahr CW9

472e2b19ddbcafddcf7cf02d574109e6.jpg

As you can see, when compared to its modern peers, it is slightly larger.

001c8f60b9d424fd1e6345d45dedba88.jpg