Looking for an all-purpose shotgun

Wayward_Son

Excluding concealed-carry, of course.

I'd like 5+1 rounds of 2 3/4 shells, in the shortest possible pump action chassis. An 18.5-20" barrel would be ideal as long as it satisfies my 5+1 requirement. Must be a 20 gauge, please don't try to convince me to go to 12. I have my mind set on 20.

Summary: 20 gauge, 5+1 rounds with the shortest overall gun length, pump action.

One additional requirement, and it is every bit as important as the other three: this cannot be a "tactical" looking gun. No black stocks with stainless barrels. No pistol grips. I'm looking for a nice wood stock shotgun with blued steel.

My dad's shotgun is a Remington 870, and it is the only shotgun I've ever used. I'm partial to the 870 for that sentimental reason as well as the widespread acceptance of the 870 as a smooth, reliable shotgun. That being said, I would not be adverse to a Mossberg 500, but I'd prefer some variation of the Remy 870 if I can find it.

I've been looking through Remington's website, but they just don't quite seem to offer the exact gun I'm looking for.

Father Time

Remington 20 gauge "youth model" will have short wood stocks. Buy a repacement barrel (they don't cost much) and you can have a 18" or 16" barrel.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I don't know how much smoother the 870 could be than a 500. In my sledge hammer is fine mentality I find my 500 to be jist fine. many are available in wood finish. I bet the field security combo would be the mossberg offering for you...the 12 gauge model #54169 comes with a 28 inch and 18.5 inch barrel in wood finish plus a pistol grip. I don't know the 20 gauge model # but sure they will tell you in an email...
Brent

Father Time

It holds 5+1 unless you are using 3 inch shells then its only 4+1. Barrel repacement won't affect the capacity of the shotgun.