Looking for a Youth Trainer?

bj426

This may be old news to some of you.....

http://www.henryrepeating.com/minibolt22.html

But on a recent trip to the MegaLowSportingGoodsMart I saw a youth rifle that makes the Chipmunk look like a tube on a stick.

Clearly I wasn't able to fire it... but it appeared to be a quality rifle with sythetic stock stainless barrell and truglow sights. Single shot 22lr and definately fitted for small ppl.

I think it caught my eye cuz we're expecting our first in a couple months.

I remember a few posts not too long ago that were looking for a good first rifle for young shooters.... hope this isn't too late.

larryw

I started a thread on that subject a few weeks ago. The Henry Mini-Bolt was my first choice and I was looking for other options. After exploring these options, I ordered the Mini-Bolt.

Here in CA we have a 10 day waiting period. Just imagine how long those 10 days seem for a 6-year old boy itching to hit the range with dad!

I'll post a range report and target pictures after we've had some range time.

Thanks for the thought. Best wishes and congratulations on your first born.

regards,
Larry

Nodakmarine

Another one I would consider especially if you want the kid to get involved with BPCR shooting someday would be the Stevens Crackshot (or whatever they are calling it these days) .22 rifle. It has a falling block not all that much different than an 1885 Winchester falling block. Another good thing is that it is single shot so to emphasize the importance of propper marksmanship. When I grew up it was my dad's Winchester model 69A with a 10-round magazine...which he promptly pulled. He would give me one round to go out and get a gopher and bring it back for the barn cats. If I brought one back, I got another round of ammunition and if I missed or he got away, that was the end of shooting for the day. :( Needless to say I got pretty good at shooting that old rifle and knowing better than to take questionable shots where they might get away and end my fun for the day.

PETman

Look into the Crickett line of 22 bolt guns.
My 7 year old daughter has a S/S, pink lam. stock. It's a girls gun and that is what I wanted,its hers and only hers.

http://www.crickett.com

PETman

Attachments

• pink.jpg
    pink.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 21

Bud Helms

Check out Savage's Rimfire Home Page. Take a look at the Stevens Favorite there.

30gm.jpg

The "NEW" tag refers to full octagon barrel.