looking for a serviceable topbreak revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.

old_yout

I'm interested (perhaps I shouldn't be, but I am) in buying a topbreak gun for actual use, maybe even for a CCW. Does anyone out there know of any of these types of revolvers that would fit my needs? Cost, I'm afraid, is something of a problem. I'd rather not spend anymore than $250. It's not that I'm putting a price on my safety, I have myself a little Security Six, but for something that I want as just a novel alternative I'd rather not spend that much. This means that if no one can suggest anything that would be good for me, then I'll reluctantly forget about the whole thing. But let's hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks.

Topbreaks generally are available only in relatively low-powered cartridges that are only marginal choices for CCW.

Among the most powerful are the Webley Mark VI, but these are pretty large.

A British Enfield .380/200 might be a reasonable choice, but the defensive ammo choices for one of these are severely limited. You'd be a lot better off sticking with a sideswing revolver.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

Gunslinger

The only top break for under $250 that immediately comes to mind is the Harrington & Richardson model 925 Defender. The Defender was chambered in the lowly .38 S&W cartridge and were discontinued in 1984 but it as close as I can get. The only other thing I can think of is a reproduction Schofield. But you will not one of those for even close to 250 bucks.

------------------
Gunslinger

old_yout

Okay, let's say no more than $400 and, given that I'll be wearing a backup of a .38, .357 or .40 (don't ask me what the back up will be, still shopping) I don't mind a .32 or .38 S&W. Or if there are any that are small enough to be back up then maybe that's what it'll be. Back to you...

Mulio Rex

http://www.navyarms.com/html/top_break_rev.html

Navy Arms for all your Tob Break needs :)

The "Hide Out" has a 3.5inch pipe and is available in .44-40 or .45LC....
Price is listed at just shy of $700, but hey, its worth saving up for!!

Anyone know if its safe to shoot .45LC+Ps in a Navy Arms weapon?

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C

James K

Member In Memoriam
The S&W top break guns are all over the place. They are reasonably priced and very usable. If outward appearance is not a prime concern, there are thousands of old nickel plated guns with peeling finish. Even ones in pretty good shape run only around $100-150. These are in .32 S&W (not recommended) and .38 S&W. It is easy to find ones that are nearly new or even unfired. Most buyers fired a few shots and then the guns spent the rest of their days in bureau drawers.

S&Ws are best, but there are also Iver Johnson and H&R revolvers that are high quality. Both companies made far better products one time than they made more recently.

For a while, I carried an S&W three-inch .38 "lemon squeezer" and did not feel helpless.

Jim

Jim,

My only concern with a gun that old is the quality of the springs. The old New Departure Smiths and their H&R, IJ, US Revolver Co (IJ made for trade sales), etc., were made with the last century's technology.

I've had a number of these old break tops, and in every one I've had spring failures due to age.

New spring sets are not, to the best of my knowledge, available for these guns. Every time a spring failed on one of mine, I had to make it myself.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

Gunslinger

Mulio, no, firing +p in the Navy Arms is not recommmended. Even though better modern day metal is used the actions are not deisgned for todays "hot" loads.

------------------
Gunslinger

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Having fired a variety of Webleys in 45acp, 455 Webley, 38S&W, 38/200 I have become disillusioned in them. They are scarcely faster to reload, many have stiff triggers and sights are not great. I have developed a new appreciateion for S&W designs (or Colts).

That said, a 4" .45acp Webley would be nice...but HEAVY and bulky for carry.

Nestor Rivera

Be warned taht most of the S&W Top Breaks must be loaded for by hand or get cowboy action type ammo. The action on these guns was never over strong and now is generally around 100years old (mine is a 3gen made 1894) If you go to MD Smiths web page he has some loads just for it.

Clark

I am going to a gunshow tommorow and I want to urge everyone not to shoot those unsafe break top Iver Johnsons. Sell them as soon as you can. It says in black and white, in load books that they are not safe. What more proof do you need?

Contact me if you have one and I will make sure that nothing unsafe is ever done with it.

saber22

Stay away from H&R

I have 1 old H&R 38 I found years ago for $80. it was a little worn finish wise and had the hammer spur bobded but it was nearly mint mechanical condition, I say was. First the trigger spring broke then the hand spring then the sear then it got out of time. All before I shot 50 rounds out of it! It been sitting in a drawer now for about 3yrs ever since I quit putting money in, gun smiths. If it was not my first revolver I would chuck it in the trash heap. :mad:

Now that said I am a firm believer in th superiority of top-break revolvers, especially "British" top break revolvers, and most especially the Webley. ;) I carry a Webley Mk6 every day on the farm and it is great. It weighs 38 ounces empty and is 11..... something in length. It been rechambered for 45acp and is my one of my most acurate revolvers, also though the sights are fixed they are "combat" style and pretty visable.
Of course you have to keep the loads on the low side but even at 700fps with a 230-250gr slug it has plenty of power, and parts are still available from several dealers. I would suggest you put a parts kit together just in case they ever run out.

Also the 45acp models can still be found for under $400. Even less if they have bad finishes or mixup parts.

The main parts that tend to break are the mainspring and the barrel catch spring, but "V" springs(both broke on mine) and can easily be replaced with new production ones if your inclined.

The trigger pull on most is heavy but smooth, and if this concerns you be ready to spend a little more ;) and look for a Webley-Green (WG) model, they have a trigger that rivals a Colt Python.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have several Webleys, both .380 and .455, plus Enfields, plus S&W top breaks in .32 and .38, and even an IJ. I would not depend on any of them in an emergency or for carry. The big .455 revolvers are too big for easy carry, and the smaller English revolvers have poor trigger pulls. The S&W guns are very well made, but if something breaks, it probably can't be replaced.

Sure, it is nice to want something a bit different and out of the ordinary, but when my neck is on the line, I want something that works, not something that goes "clunk" when a spring breaks.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.