Looking for a Scope?

XD Gunner

So, I don't really know where else to ask this, and since its going on a Rifle, this seems the best place.

I need a at least 4-10X40 (no larger than a 40) riflescope that will be used for hunting, needs to be sturdy. I want a German #1 reticle if at all possible. Im nto really brand specific, so any reliable optics with a budget of about $350.00US... The more economical (read: least costly) the better, I still have a few things to take care of on the rifle. If you folks have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

Aaron

rem33

Leupold, made in the USA, warrantied forever.
We're using some that are over 40 years old.
Prices are comparable with products of the similar quality.
$350 should get you a vari X II 3x9, mounts and rings.

Go shopping but this would be my choice.

XD Gunner

I do like Leupold scopes, Ill check out some of their products, I did come across this while searching that site. What do you guys think of Weaver Grand Slam scopes?

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2502

FirstFreedom, is that a Bushnell scope you linked? I was under the impression that Bushnell was looked down upon in the shooting community?

atblis

Weaver

The Weavers are good scopes. I have two, no complaints.
Nikon would be another good choice
The Bushnell Elite 4200s are very good scopes too.

4-16x40 is a good sized scope. 4x is good for close up, and 16 is nice for the longer shots. I think it's a better setup than a 3-9.

BUSTER51

grand slams are good ,but for a couple of bucks you could have a Ziess Conquest ask Jon at the opticzone he can get you what you need .he would be glad to help .

mikejonestkd

>>>Quote:
I was under the impression that Bushnell was looked down upon in the shooting community?

Don't believe everything you read today........"

Bushnell 4200 series are excellent for the money, I'd consider one along with the weaver, nikon, burris, and Leupold.

tINY

Think hard about lowering your max magnification to 9.

There are a lot of really good scopes out there for $200 and they are all 3-9x40. That's a "standard" and there is a lot of competition there. Change one parameter and the price goes up to around $300. (except if you want a 4x40 or a 6x40, those are a bit less).

-tINY

arkie2

Just a note about Leupolds and the optic zone. I bought my Bushnell 4200 from the optic zone and the price was about $80 less than Midway's price. Service was excellent and I got some good advice on scope rings. Highly recommended.

Leupold scopes are excellent but when I was talking to Tammy (at optic zone) she said they couldn't come down on their prices like they could other manufacturers because Leupold sets the price. I guess they figure they're the best and don't have to cut prices but you can get a great discount there on other brands.

Finally, you didn't say what kind of rifle you're going to mount your scope on. If it's a magnum you definitely need to include adequate eye relief as one of your criteria.

Scorch

I shoot a Leupold Vari-X II 4-12, and I love it. Not as expensive as some of the Vari-X III scopes and just about as good.

On the other hand, if you are sold on the German reticle, I believe Burris makes a scope with the European reticle.

2rugers

Weaver grand slam is a very good choice. I have two Burris signatures and two Leupold vx-11's. The Weaver grand slam I just purchased is every bit as bright and I really like the fingertip adjustment knobs.

XD Gunner

Sorry, scope is for my .270WIN no magnums...

I have a cheap BSA mounted right now, and my first shot with the rifle left me with a cut above my right eye, so I know what your talking about with eye relief... :rolleyes:

It is a 3X9, but after using it, I think I want a higher magnification than 9, its just not enough for shooting the powerlines around here, the deer blend in too well with the grass, there about the same height as well, so the extra magnification would reall help.

I will definately check out some of the suggestions.

arkie2

Interesting. I just bought the Bushnell for my .270. Seems to me having a German #1 reticle as a requirement puts severe restrictions on your choice of scope. I haven't checked it out extensively but just a quick run through of Cabella's site this morning and the only scope I could find that offered that reticle is BSA (for all the folks who are going to tell me there's a ton of scopes with this reticle, note I said a quick scan). Seems like a duplex reticle would be just as good and open up a whole range of scopes for consideration. In your price range there are a number of Leupold scopes 4-12x40 and you couldn't go wrong there.

Just a suggestion: Maybe a good set of field glasses for finding the deer and then using the scope would be your best bet. Binoculars are cheaper, have more magnification and a wider field of view. You could get an excellent 4-9x40 scope and a good set of binocs for your budget.

Last edited:

atblis

Yeah

My one complaint about the Weavers is that the eye relief varies with power (Leupold VXIII do this as well).

For $400 bucks you should be able to get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. It has a constant 4 inches of eye relief.

Personally, I prefer 4-16 or 4.5-14, but as stated above the price point is 3-9x40.

tINY

XD Gunnie,

Remember that resolution is important when looking for deer. I have 9 power glass that lets me see better than cheaper 14 power scopes I have.

Besides, to find them, you should have a pair of binos. The stereo vision is a big help in picking out thinks hidden in the bushes.

-tINY

BUSTER51

The Ziess Conquest at under $400.00 delivered at www. the opticzone.com will let you see those deer at over 400 yards and at dawn or dusk ,it is very bright and clear .you would have to spend 5 times that to get a 5% better scope. it also has etched rectil's .try one you'll like it ,you won't need a higher power scope on a .270 if you get a scope with great glass like the Ziess conquest .:D

XD Gunner

The German reticle isnt required, but I absolutely love it...I can do without though...

Thanks for the input so far guys...