Looking for a quality AR pistol

Sharkbite

1. I like the Sig brace. Especially while waiting on an SBR stamp. Get the same job done w/o the tax stamp. Minus the ability to adjust easily

2. With the 11.5" barrel you are still in the useful barrel length for 556 (IMO) but the 300blk will do better in these barrel lengths. True 7.62x39 ballistics down to about 8" barrels

3. If you plan to hunt deer sized game... Go 300 vs 223 everytime. You MUST be a reloader to make the 300blk cost effective. Even then its more $ per round then 556. Be prepaired for that:(

4. If you ever plan to get a suppressor for it.... the 300 wins that race, HANDS DOWN, over the 556

5. Get what you like:D

Darker Loaf

I've been looking for a 10-10.5" .223/5.56 pistol for a while. I'd like a pistol system instead of the AR buffer tube, because I actually want a pistol, not an SBRish gun.

My dream gun would be a .223/5.56 AK pistol via Arsenal converted via Definitive Arms to accept AR mags...

But something like the Sig pistol would be a serious contender. If you do get one, please let me know how it is! I want to know if it runs reliably, as I've heard/had some quality issues with Sig products lately. I'd get a Rock River Piston .223 pistol, but the 9" barrel and DO NOT SUPPRESS warning makes me not want it. The Sig has a 10" barrel and has an adjustable gas system, so it would make it a good candidate. If you do get the Sig, let me know if you can totally remove the buffer tube to revert it to a more classic "pistol" configuration.

Sharkbite

I'd get a Rock River Piston .223 pistol, but the 9" barrel and DO NOT SUPPRESS warning makes me not want it.

The deal with short barrels and suppressors is this..

Unburnt powder + high pressure gasses + heat, acts as a sandblaster inside the can. Some calibers are better then others... More complete powder burns, lower pressures at a given barrel length make some easier on internals then other calibers

The rule of thumb (and most manufactures warranties) is

308 longer then 12"
556/223 longer then 10"
300blk longer then 8"

You can use suppressors on shorter barrels. Ive seen more then a few 7" 5.56 guns wearing cans. Just understand the wear and tear goes WAY up and you prob voided the warranty. On a can that cost around $1000 with a tax stamp and waiting period. Im not willing to do that. YMMV

Darker Loaf

Yeah, I've been on the hunt for a 10+" barreled .223 pistol for a long time now. I'm getting a .223 can and don't want to void any warranties. I really wish I trusted Sig because they seem like a good option (having an adjustable gas system).

On Rock River Arm's pistol pistol, it seems like they have an additional warning for both their pistols and their rifle length systems not being able to be safely suppressed (even with their adjustable gas system). Otherwise, I'd buy their pistol in a heart beat. Hopefully, they'll work out the kinks. I'd start a thread to ask about reliability of AR/.223 pistols, but my desires seem to be so obscure: a suppressed, pistol-driven .223 pistol.