Looking for a(non semi) 22 rifle...sugestions please

CarbineKid

Im looking to buy a 22 rifle for plinking, and to teach my son on(in a few years). I really do not want a semi, so Im thinking more of a bolt or pump action rifle. I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but I do want it to be well made, and reliable. Suggestions please?

foghornl

You can sometimes find those Romanian (?) bolt-action .22 trainers for under $60.

Has a mag disconnect that allows mag-fed or single-load, IIRC.

Tylden

Check out the CZ's. I just bought my son a CZ 452 Scout and it is a NICE little youth model that many adults enjoy as well. Unlike many youth models, this one actually SHOOTS with remarkable accuracy. The sights are adjustable, but pretty basic, but do the job up to 50 yards or so. You can get one new for around $200. It weighs about 5 lbs, has a 12" LOP, 11mm dovetail for mounting optics if you so choose, 16 " barrel, and comes with a 5 round mag. There is also a single round and a 10 round mag available.
For about the same money, they also have several adult models as well. I think for the money, you can't beat the CZ's for a good, well made, tack driving accurate, .22.

n3twrkm4n

Ruger, Savage (is ok), Marlin (lever?), and definately the afforementioned.

I own a Ruger 10/22 semi and it's great but maybe for another day? I also own a Savage 22 Magnum rifle which is a bolt action, it's old but reliable... has accuracy issues with 22 shorts though :rolleyes:, works good with magnum rounds though.

Bolt action or lever action would be good cause you can shoot shotshells out of it, maybe take the little guy frog hunting or something. :cool:

Handy

Oddball suggestion:

A Thompson/Center Contender carbine. While not super cheap, you'd then have a base for other calibers in small, packable rifle OR pistol with a quick break open action.

I just called T/C, and was told that if you want to use one of their guns as both a pistol and carbine, it must start life as a pistol frame. Silly, but there you are.

n3twrkm4n

I didn't know it was semi auto... :p Funny they would make a semi-automatic device a 'survival rifle'... IT would seem they would want something that is less likely to fail...

Henry makes lever actions though right? I don't really know never owned or looked to much at one... ;)

rugerdude

Marlin 925.......simply a great bolt-action .22. Has a 7 round detachable mag, and can easily be used as a single shot. Great acuraccy too. It is also cheaper than the CZ (but from what I hear, the extra money for a CZ is well worth it).

I don't care for the savages though, too plasticy and unreliable.

Lawyer Daggit

I agree with advice about the CZ- excellent gun, also consider a 9422 Winchester (soon to be discountinued because it costs to much to produce), a Marlin 39 or an anschutz bolt gun- while expensive new, they are available second hand for reasonable money.

If low cost is the major criteria look to Russian / Chinese guns or those produced by old Russian satellite states.

If you are thinking about a TC Contenders- I note the earlier post about whether it was a pistol or rifle frame- there is no difference between the two and a regulator would have no way of knowing what had been on it.

I thought a Court case was decided several years ago determined that you were not legally allowed to fit pistol barrels to a rifle- ie anything under their Super 16 barrels which are 16 1/4 inches- I suggest if this is a concern to you you contact TC's lawyers and get them to give you the sitation of this case so that you can check it.

I can recommend the TC contender- consider buying a second hand frame and sourcing after market barrels and an after market stock- and build one yourself IMHO the factory TC Contender is to expensive for what it is.

Picher

It's hard to beat some of the older Winchester, Remington single shots, tube feed and removable magazine models. Well cared for Single shots like the Win. 67A can be had for about $130 and there's no better first rifle IMHO. More expensive removable magazine types like the Win 69A or Remington 581s can be had for around $200. A used 581 is probably the best buy in an accurate .22 today.

Newer rifles like the CZ are good, but that one seems heavy for a youngster. Marlin bolt actions are okay, as are Savages.

Picher

308Enfield

The most fun plinker I ever handled was an old pump-action .22 that my Granddad picked up somewhere. I know that Taurus makes one now that isn't too expensive, but I haven't shot one. Does anybody have experience with that model? The .22 pump is a nice action and they're usually a pretty small frame and good for kids or smaller adults. At the same time, I can comfortably handle them and I'm 6'3", so your son should be able to grow up with it.

Seven High

Remington 572

Take a look at the Remington 572 BDL. It is a slide action .22. It is top of the line. Pricey, but worth it. :)

m0ntels

Here's a bit of an oddball, but I love mine. Hunt down one of the old Ithaca saddle guns. I forget it's real name, but it is a single shot falling block rifle. The stock is a bit short because I guess it was mainly a youth rifle, bit as big as I am I can still shoot it all day, and it's great for teaching kids or females. It's a cute lil gun and everyone loves it or should love it.

It's only real flaw is the ejector, but it still pushes it back some to pull it out or just cycle the lever again and it should pop out.

If you dont feel like searching the earth for one of them, I will repeat any support for Marlin rimfires of any sort.

Randy