Looking for a new scope

bill k

It will go on a BAR 338 mag. I don't want to spend a fortune on this one.

Suggestions requested as well as thoughts on the Simmons Aetec 4X12.

Never heard of this one. I have a Simmons 44 mag which I like, but also have a simmons Pro hunter which I don't.

Thanks in advance

Doyle

My opinion (all two cents worth) is that the Aetec is the only scope Simmons makes that is worth buying. In any othe price range - look to a different brand. How much are you looking to spend?

T.A.Sharps

I don't know anything about the Aetec, but a 338 Magnum would have a little bit'o'recoil. If you get a scope make sure it has a good eye relief. Maybe 4" or 5" at least.

You will also want a scope that will hold its zero under heavy recoil. Lots of "more affordable" scopes won't.

I handled a Nikon Omega once, they seemed pretty nice, over 5" eye relief, no way you will be hitting your eye with that.

There are lots of good reviews on the SWFA fixed power "Super Sniper" scopes.
www.swfa.com
You can search and find the reviews easy.

I own one and my only complaint is the turrets are a little mushy. Mind you this is only between 1/4moa incriments. But I'm not benchrest so I dont't mind so much.

They are the quality of a $800 scope, but they only cost $300, $400 if you want the 3 turret military contract one.

Anyway, all this typing about the Super Sniper is becasue they are very rugged and hold their zero, and have accurate inciments. I know they use them on Barrett 50's since they hold up very well with the recoil.

mikejonestkd

leupold VXII in 3-9X40 is a great choice.

Other good choices are:

Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest and Burris Signature.

bill k

I had the Leupold on it before and moved it to another rifle, I want "MORE PWR":D. I put my 6x18 pro hunter on it to test out ammo, but know I want a better quality scope. That's why I was asking about the Aetic.

mikejonestkd

If you want higher power, then looks at the above scopes I listed in a power range that is suitable for you.

A .338 BAR with a 8-32 bushnell 4200 would look sweet.....:)

crowbeaner

I think Leupold makes the VXIII in a 3.5x14 model. It will handle just about any shooting chore. Not inexpensive, but you only have to buy it once. I'd check Burris and see what they have for a high power. I had a 6x18 Redfield on my old 22-250 and it was FAR more glass than I needed. Anything over 12x would cause my heartbeat to bump the crosshairs off the tiny targets.

sholling

If you shop well you can find a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 for $350ish or a Sightron SII Big Sky in 3-12x42 for $500. Both have plenty of eye relief.