Looking for a Muzzleloader

MikeGunz

Just recently got into hunting this season(got my first turkey in the spring) any ways looking for a muzzle loader rifle for this coming fall deer season in NH. I pretty much know nothing about them other than a general idea how to load them. I was hoping to spend around $200 for one. Just looking for one that will shoot straight and not blow up in my face. Id like to hear your recommendations Thanks

Doyle

I think the best "value" gun is the T/C Omega Z5. The Omega comes in several configurations from the very expensive models with camo thumbhole stocs and stainless barrels down to the plane-jane Z5 with a black composite stock and blued barrels. They all operate (and shoot) the same. I've seen them go for as little as $200 brand new at Wallyworld.

Going used in a ML is a possibility but you absolutely have to pay attention to the bore - especially the area just in front of the breech plug. There are too many people out there who have bought a ML, used it for a year without proper cleaning, and ruined the bore with corrosion.

I started out with a CVA Bighorn Magnum. It shot great but was a pain in the ass to clean because of the bolt. I made sure my next two were break/open models. The break-open feature makes cleaning (and I do clean between EVERY shot at the range) much more pleasant.

MikeGunz

Thanks Ill take a look at them next time I go to walmart. Is there a caliber you prefer for deer? Is the T/C omega a .50?

Doyle

There are really only 2 ML calibers in the modern inlines (well, 3 if you count .54 but those are rare). .45 is generally pretty hard to find components for and offers you no advantage except for a tad less recoil. Stick with .50.

od green

T/C is a good MZ, But also look at Traditions I've had both and they are real shooters, my current is a traditions tracker 209 that is probably 8 years old and requires a drill and a cleaning rod to clean but shoots lights out I've taken deer with it every year . MZ has changed greatly the last few years and T/C, Traditions, and CVA shoot with some of the higher dollar MZ out there.They all require the same maintenance for barrel protection but some make it easier .

bacardisteve

I just got into ML last year and bought a cheap cva wolf. The accuracy surpised the heck out of me with 250gr powerbelt bullets behind 100grains of triple7.

joshobrien77

Bought a TC omega last year with TX scope on it for $200 new from Gander. I love it. Replaced my TC thunder hawk. Accuracy with hornady and power belts was unreal out through 150. Cleans super easy. Honestly though if I would have had the cash I would have got the encore. But for the money the Omega is a shooter!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Doyle

Honestly though if I would have had the cash I would have got the encore. But for the money the Omega is a shooter!

I replaced my Omega with an Encore. I still have yet to work up a load that is as accurate as the Omega. I'm almost wishing I hadn't "upgraded".

Wild Bill Bucks

Doyle,

The encore I own seems to like 90 grains of 777, with 240 grain .44 magnum Hornady hollow points, using CCI 209 primers. I tried about every combination with it, and that seems to be the sweet spot. I have only had it on paper out to 100 yards, but will hold 1 1/2" groups with this load all day.

Mike,

Doyle is telling it right if you look into a used ML. I built a gun cabinet for my front room, and did not want to put any of my rifles in it, as it would be for all to see, so I went down to my local pawn shop to see what they had that I could buy on the cheap, to make the cabinet look good. He told me that since the inlines have come out, he had a pile of side locks in the back that he could not sell, and told me to go get 4 or 5 of them. I went to the back and just reached in the pile and got 5 rifles. The were CVA, Knight, an old Thompson and a couple of walmart kit rifles.
He tried to just give them to me, but I made him take $10.00 for each gun. When I got them home I was glad I hadn't planned to do any shooting with them, because every one of them had a crust in the barrel, and the ignition ports were all but rusted completely closed. But they really look good in my cabinet, and if they get stolen, the thief will have a real surprise in store, if he ever tries to shoot one.

Doyle

Bill, the sweet spot with my Omega was 100grn of loose 777, a 777 primer, and a 250grn Hornady SST in the low-drag sabot. Easily did 1" at 100ys plus that Hornady SST (same thing as the T/C shockwave) has about as good a BC as you can get in a commercial muzzleloading bullet so it shot much flatter than any other bullet I tried.

thallub

I use a CVA Buckhorn Magnum and i have never had any problems

The CVA BuckHorn is as accurate and serviceable as guns costing three or four times the price. i recommend this gun.

tws92E05

Bought a CVA Wolf last year to try a ML on the cheap. I was really suprised with how accurate it was. At 100 yards it is just as good as any of my centerfires. Shot several hogs with it last year and plan on hunting mostly with it this coming season.

Doyle

The CVA BuckHorn is as accurate and serviceable as guns costing three or four times the price. i recommend this gun.

I thought they discontinued those things a decade ago. Like I said earlier, that was my first ML. Very accurate but I would NEVER get another bolt-action ML again even if someone gave it to me.

arcticap

I like to shop for BP guns that are on sale or at a bargain price because they usually have comparable quality. Plus the cost of the extra accessories needed to shoot adds up quickly. The TC models can be better but are often more expensive and more difficult to find on sale for under $200.
The Traditions website has a "Special Offers" section listed at the top of their home page.
Right now their special offers include several different Buckstalkers which are much like their popular Pursuit break actions except that this model has a 24" barrel instead of a 26", and it doesn't have an accelerator breech plug that's removable by hand.

1. They have a blue barrel Buckstalker with a nickeled receiver and green stock that is now priced at $139 compared to the all blue model that costs $199 at Cabela's:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...=1019&osCsid=bd29f5a6469b8d6826d1356771117a0b

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...TEGORY_SEQ_104533380?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104701680

2. Black stock with blue barrel Buckstalker for $139:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...d=792&osCsid=bd29f5a6469b8d6826d1356771117a0b

3. Black stock with blue barrel Buckstalker with 3-9X32 scope for $149:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...d=920&osCsid=bd29f5a6469b8d6826d1356771117a0b

4. And they have an all nickel Buckstalker model with a camo stock for $189:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...=1020&osCsid=bd29f5a6469b8d6826d1356771117a0b

They also have other many other good deals on their specials page:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/specials.php?osCsid=bd29f5a6469b8d6826d1356771117a0b

If the links stop working simply go to their home page and click on the Special Offers tab near the top of the page:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/index.php?osCsid=bd29f5a6469b8d6826d1356771117a0b

Shipping will add extra to the cost but most folks will be able to make up for some of it by not paying any state sales tax. :)

Last edited:

orangello

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...d=135&osCsid=ad1b3bed9bd05bcedb4be2b2718df3a2

Just bought one of these more traditionalish BP rifles; i think it was $300 with shipping (shipped to my office, didn't want it sitting on the porch all lonely). If you want more fun than just an extended season, you might like the old-school type better.

I found no defects in this closeout item, but haven't gotten to shoot it yet.

Move to Ms and get an H&R Handi Rifle in 45-70.
Both of my nephews have something like that in .35whelen. :rolleyes: They just want more deer sausage; i'm a vegetarian who will have to give away whatever i kill; maybe that is the difference.

a7mmnut

If you've got a Mossberg 12 ga., you can get a brand new barrel for just a little over $100. That's hard to beat. -7-

Hawg

Both of my nephews have something like that in .35whelen. They just want more deer sausage; i'm a vegetarian who will have to give away whatever i kill; maybe that is the difference.

I almost bought a Buffalo Classic in 38-55 but my 30-30, 44-40, 30-06 and 7MM Mauser already have enough competition during gun season. My Hawken gets most of the hunts during primitive weapons, my P53 gets to go now and then. I'm not going to stoop to centerfires during primitive weapons season.

FrontierGander

CVA Wolf. Simply one of the best packages you can get for under $200 and will shoot with guns 3 or 4 times the money. Most times even out shoot them.