Looking for a mini Red Dot for my 22LR

jg0001

So, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a mini Red Dot for my Browning Buckmark 22LR.

Now, it already has a rail across the full length of the top of the frame (& barrel), but I noticed that the
grooves aren't as deep as they are on either my S&W 500 or my AR-15 style rifle. Both of the latter two
can take the same accessories (I tried my Eotech XPS on the S&W 500 for giggles), but the depth on the
Browning was too shallow for the cross screw to fit.

Is this is special smaller size I need to know before I can get the proper mini dot? Again, the rail shape &
size itself was fine, it was just the groove depth I'm worried about.

Here's a picture of the gun in question:
2hs7l00.jpg

Sorry in advance for the huge picture... I just wanted the grooves to stand out. Also, any
recommendations for mini dots (or even scopes) are welcome... and I don't mind spending as much for the
accessory as I did for the gun... especially if I could use that accessory on multiple guns.

Last edited:

dondavis3

I'm looking for the same thing.

I just bought a Browning Buck Mark Camper Stainless Steel URX MS Ultragrip RX Pro 5 1/2" from Academy.

They had 2 Buck Marks there - the blued one had the fiber optic and the stainless one had the black sights.

I decided that I wanted the stainless more than I wanted the fiber optic front sights.

I haven't shot it yet, but boy those black sights are black - kinda hard for me to see.

My question is are there any other direct fit optic sites for this gun, like from Truglo or another vendor or is the only option the Hi-Viz?

Also is there a direct fit "Red Dot" picatinny mounting rail for it?

Thanks for your help.

Samuel2001

jg0001, Your AR and S&W 500 have a similar scope/accesory base and its probably a piticany 1913 (Sorry about spelling) and your Buckmark is a Weaver base.
The Weaver base is more shallow, meant for just a light cross bolt to pass thru. Where the Piticany type is a military design and more robust. The cross screw or cross bolt is of a heavyer gauge and requires the deeper and wider cross channel.

Just my .02 cents.

darkgael

red dot

There are quite a few "Mini" red dot sights, usually of the reflex type. I have one by Truglo and two By JPoint.
The Truglo has an integrated base and will fit right on to your Buckmark.
The Jpoints (and the Docter, another brand) require a base. There is a single screw, easy on/off weaver mount/adapter for the Jpoint (Can't remember at the moment who sells it).
Other small Red Dots are Aimpoint's Micro Dot (very pricey. More than your Buckmark), Burris Fastfire, Trijicon ($). Do NOT buy NCstar; I tried two of them, just to see. Neither worked.
Pete

jg0001

I've been looking at the Aimpoint Micro and the Trijicon Doctor...
by the way, why does opticsplanet.com list both a "Docter" and "Trijicon Docter"... both having the same logo on the side and similar in price? Is this just a licensing issue? I've heard of Trijicon, but not Docter itself. I couldn't make out much difference between the two.

Again, I don't mind if the optic costs more then the 22LR pistol (though both of the above are not). I'm limited in the # of weapons the wife will allow, so spending on accessories is my only real outlet to expand the hobby at this point.

Am I safe to assume then if something says "Weaver Base" it should fit just fine then?

Thanks.

darkgael

red dot

Docter was one of the first small reflex type red dots available. I think that they must supply Trijicon under a licence.
Yes, it should drop right onto your gun.
Prices. Where are you looking? The Aimpoint Micro at opticsplanet is listed at $542. The Buckmark sells for $339 to $449.
I'd like to have that little Aimpoint. Good luck with it if you go that way.
Docter, Jpoint, Burris - they are all very much the same.
Pete

jg0001

My Buckmark goes for around $500 (the one pictured). The Trijicon Docter I see on sale at opticsplanet.com for $425... the Burris FastFire is $199 and the Aimpoint Micro H-1 $542.

Last edited:

au2183

Walther makes a very nice little red dot that I just picked up from Midway for $139. It's at least as small as the Burris. I have it mounted on a 10" MKII but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If it works well I'll be getting another for my Buckmark.

butcher 1

I have a burris fast fire II on a model 41 that works great. I also have a beretta neos that I have a cheap nc star on and I tell ya for 30 or 40 bucks I'm pretty impressed so far. Have'nt used the micro dot but I hear they are about the best.
AS far as your rail goes this is what I've heard. Picatinny rings fit picatinny, weaver rings fit weaver or picatinny. I'm pretty sure your buckmark has a weaver rail so weaver mounts will work well. Chances are your Ar style and the 500 has picatinny. Hope this helps.

jg0001

Wow, Clay - awesome setup.

I'm down to the Burris FastFire or the Aimpoint Micro H-1. I do have one question between the two... given that I shoot at a not-to-bright indoor range, is one better than the other for darker settings? Any comments on which one is quicker for target acquisition // forgiveness of alignment with one's eye?

Laker

I've got an inexpensive Tasco onmy Buckmark Target. It works just fine.Simple to mount and sighted it perfect with just three rounds.

darkgael

low light

JG: The Burris, if it is like it's cousins, adjusts automatically to light conditions. The Aimpoint has a rheostat that allows for shooter adjustment. There are, IIRC, nine levels available on the Aimpoint. As with all sights of this type, indoor or low light shooting is not where problems surface; it is outdoors, very bright light may overwhelm the dot on some. The Aimpoint has an extra bright setting to avoid this.
About alignment - if you have never used one of these before, there is a learning curve, albeit a short one. It is not uncommon for a first time shooter to "lose the dot". I have seen this happen with both tube style and reflex sights. The Aimpoint may be easier in this respect. At this point, though, having used both types of sights for many years, I'm not sure about that.
I prefer the small reflex sights because they weigh less - ounces less. The Micro weighs 3.7 ounces; the Burris is less than half that when mounted.
Pete

Lashlarue

These are being made by Laserlyte for NAA minis. Dont know the cost as I'm not interested in putting laser on a telephone booth gun.
LaserlyteNAA.jpg

CLAYBROOK

JG: The Burris, if it is like it's cousins, adjusts automatically to light conditions. The Aimpoint has a rheostat that allows for shooter adjustment. There are, IIRC, nine levels available on the Aimpoint. As with all sights of this type, indoor or low light shooting is not where problems surface; it is outdoors, very bright light may overwhelm the dot on some. The Aimpoint has an extra bright setting to avoid this.
About alignment - if you have never used one of these before, there is a learning curve, albeit a short one. It is not uncommon for a first time shooter to "lose the dot". I have seen this happen with both tube style and reflex sights. The Aimpoint may be easier in this respect. At this point, though, having used both types of sights for many years, I'm not sure about that.
I prefer the small reflex sights because they weigh less - ounces less. The Micro weighs 3.7 ounces; the Burris is less than half that when mounted.

I think this guys has some good information.

I have no experience with the aim point, but I'm sure it's a quality product.

As for the Burris, I have not had any problems seeing the dot in all types of lighting conditions. It does automatically adjust which I have heard some people complain about. It works well for me and I like the fact there is no additional knobs or buttons. Just an on and off switch.

Prior to the Burris, I tried a cheaper red dot. It would not hold zero, and the base broke when I was messing with it. Needless to say, I wish I had bought the burris or something of similar quality the first time around.

jg0001

Clay, did you buy the Burris standard Picatinny/Weaver base for your FastFire and did it fit without any modifications? I've read too many reviews now that complain about the FastFire base screws not fitting properly or being too fat.

Here's the link to Cabela's set of Burris bases for the FastFire...

Did you have to remove anything to slot that on or did you just pop it on and screw it tight?