Looking for a light weight scope for .22

TruthTellers

Gentleman, I'm looking at getting a Ruger Charger either today or this weekend and I want to get all my ducks in a row. The Charger doesn't come with iron sights, so an optic is needed and I prefer it be a scope even though at most I'll probably be shooting this at 50 or 100 yards at most.

My preference is to keep this as light weight as possible, but I'm not looking at getting something like the skinny Tasco or Barska rimfire scopes. I have a Simmons .22 Mag 3-9x scope on another .22 rifle and so far I like it, but I'd like to know what else is out there for scopes that weigh under a pound and are still decent holding zero for .22 LR.

Would like to keep price below $200 for the scope.

BTW, while the Charger is a pistol, it's basically a 10/22 and I plan to use this with a Sig brace off the shoulder kind of like a rifle and in the future, may SBR it.

T. O'Heir

You're going to need a long eye relief handgun scope too. Not just a light weight .22 scope. The "below $200" is going to drastically reduce your options. Moreso if that's to include the rings.
The Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32mm is a 20" eye relief, handgun scope, weighing in at 11 ounces and runs $184.99 at Midway.

TruthTellers

You're going to need a long eye relief handgun scope too. Not just a light weight .22 scope. The "below $200" is going to drastically reduce your options. Moreso if that's to include the rings.
The Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32mm is a 20" eye relief, handgun scope, weighing in at 11 ounces and runs $184.99 at Midway.
Not planning to shoot as handgun with a long eye relief and if I do, I'll probably use the See All Open Sight.

But I'll think about that scope as I have on the long list T/C Encore pistols.

pete2

A 2-7 VX1 is about right, very light weight compared to some. I just put a 1X Vortex prism scope on an AR because I have astigmatism. Note that AI could shoot good groups at 50 yards with the Bushnell TRS25 in spite of the astigmatism. The TRS has a very small red dot. No problem with the prism scope but it isn't light weight like the TRS. Vortex also sells a 3X prism scope. Also with the prism you have red, green and black. The black works w/o any power like a regular scope.

V-fib

TruthTellers, I have a ruger charger takedown and added a pistol brace that you can shoulder and don't have to register it as a SBR. The adapter is from https://coppercustom.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1046 copper custom and it is fully explained and shown in use in the Youtube video “ruger charger brace yourself”. After I received the adapter from coppercustom I purchased a KAK https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-p...s/pistol-buffer-tubes/shockwave-package-black shockwave pistol brace. Wow what a difference shooting the charger with the brace. At this time I have a reflex red dot sight on it but not happy with it so I'm going to get a UTG 3-9x32 bugbuster scope. I've seen many positive reviews on this scope and it doesn't break the bank. Also from the videos I've seen others mounting it to their regular 10/22 rifles had to replace the rail mount with a UTG tactical mount. I've not checked the rail that is on the charger yet to see if I have to order that with the scope.

lewwetzel

I have the Leupold 2-7 VX1 rimfire scope one my Charger. My brother put the Leupold pistol scope with the long eye relief on his. Like to think my way gives a bit more accuracy. ;)

ThomasT

I have two of the Nikon Pro-Staff 4x power scopes on 22 rifles and am totally satisfied with them. They are set with a 50 yard paralax and when I bought them a few years ago they were right at the $100 mark. For just a little more I bought the same scope in 2x7 and it has a 75 yard paralax. Really good for a 22 or 22 mag and perfect for a PPC rifle like my Marlin Camp Carbine. Around $125 IIRC. I am guessing the weight to be around 12 ounces.

Sometimes you can find these refurbed at Natchez Shooters Supply for a few bucks off. They are not Leupold quality glass but for half or more of the price worth every cent I paid. I know one guy who has the 4x on a Marlin 44 mag rifle and has had no issues with recoil hurting the scope.

I have one of the Pro-Staff 3x9s on my 7x57 custom rifle. I like these scopes.

I am not real sure of what set up you are using so don't really know if these will work on a handgun. But I like the brand.

Last edited:

Tallest

I second the Leupold 2-7 VX rimfire - I have one on a Marlin Bolt 22lr, and it works really well! I think they're under $200 on Midway

Don Fischer

I'm not so sure you can buy a scope that can't stand up to a 22 LR! I'd go to the Bi Mart or Walmart and get the least expensive one they had. Actually If I were to get another 22 LR, no plans on that, I've got a very old Weaver K4 looking for a home.

Hawg

I've got a fixed 4 power Bushnell on my Marlin model 60 I paid 25.00 for at Walmart about 6 years ago. Zero hasn't moved and if it breaks tomorrow it was money well spent and I'll go buy another one just like it.

dgludwig

I have two of the Nikon Pro-Staff 4x power scopes on 22 rifles and am totally satisfied with them. They are set with a 50 yard paralax and when I bought them a few years ago they were right at the $100 mark.

My choice too. I have one mounted on a Remington Model 504, .22 rf, bolt-action sporter and I like it a lot. I've always preferred scopes on any rifle to be as light and compact as practical (depending on the intended use) and especially so on a relatively petite, .22 rf sporter.