looking for a BUG

cbuck

this coincides with the other thread that i posted in the semi auto forum but while i was in my lgs today i got to hold a lcp which i really liked except for the caliber. i dont really want ot stray from what i already have which is 22, 38, 9mak, 9mm and 45. what would you all suggest that would be in the pocket carry size but offered in one of the calibers i already have. also trying to keep this to about $350 or under

cbuck

the lc9 was a little too big in my hand today and being a lefty anything that has a safety has to be ambidextrous otherwise its a deal breaker even if i dont plan on ever using it. for a trigger i shoot a 1911, a sr9c and a s&w64 regularly at the range so weather its SA, DA or striker fire doesnt really make a difference to me. ive even considered some of the double shot SA derringers in 22lr, 22mag, or 38spl

OntheFrontLines

The Kahr cm9 will fit better in your hand than the lc9, but it may be a tad over 350 (imo worth the extra scratch). How about a snub nose revolver?

Mosin44az

Kahr CM9 goes for $430 in Phoenix.

Mine has not been perfect--these small guns are sensitive to how they are held, and to what ammo you put in them--but with shorter-length 9mm loads it has been fine.

I have had 7 malfunctions in 700 rounds, and except for one failure to fire with Remington Green Box JHP, all malfs were when firing lefthanded, and most of those were with longer-length loads which hung up in the mag or on the feed ramp.

It's weird how there can be a substantial difference in the length of 9mms. The spec for this caliber must be pretty liberal.

The CMP will fit in a pocket, it's not too heavy, has a nice trigger, pleasant recoil, accurate.

RedBowTies88

If you like 9mm mak like I do, then the p-64 is a great option.

There's also the pa-63 which is slightly larger and slightly harder to come by.

cbuck

i dont mind the 9mak cartridge but that looks more so about the size of my cz 82 and im pretty sure is one of the models with the right handed only safety. another concern that i think id have with that one would be the weight of it as i was hoping for something relatively light if its gunna be a back up to my primary carry

TheNocturnus

I re-read the op. I have an LCP, what do think is wrong with the .380 as a BUG?

I use it as my BUG and I assume I would only be using it over my G22 if I am seated in my car or if I am fighting and cannot get to my Glock.

A .380 round to the brain will do the job as well as any other round. A few .380's to COM will also deter the BG. If you liked the LCP and are just wary of the caliber but are comfortable with a .22, I guess I'm just confused.

cbuck

I dont have a problem with the 380 round besides the cost of it and that it would ad another round i would be compelled to buy and keep a decent stockpile of. As this being a back up for my primary carry i wouldnt have a problem with even carrying a small 22lr as i hope to never have to use my primary let alone a back up weapon.

That being said i personally feel that my 2 primaries that i go back and forth between carrying as well as whatever i end up getting as a BUG should at least have 50rds put through them every range trip so that I stay proficient with the weapons. So its not that i have anything against the 380 i am just having a hard time justifying the addition costs of adding a new caliber to the 3 pistol cartidges i shoot regularly (not including 22lr) as well as the 9mak that i try to take out about once a month.

bigghoss

I really don't know of a good BUG for $350 in a caliber you mentioned. I know of a lot of good guns that will fit any 2 of the 3.

Webleymkv

If you can stretch you budget another $50, you can get into a S&W J-Frame
Airweight revolver in .38 Special (models 438, 442, 637, 638, and 642). My own all-steel M36 carries quite nicely in a pants pocket and I can't imagine an Airweight being anything but easier to carry (though recoil will obviously be a bit more).

m&p45acp10+1

I persoanaly may end up adding an LCP provied that .380 acp does not dry up as bad as it did after the election. I do hand load so practice ammo would be easy as long as I can pick up range brass. Thoguh primers were tough to find at that time too.

The P-64 is a bit weighty, but not too awful bad, and it is slim. I pocket carry in a pocket holster, and have never used the safty. The first trigger pull is quite heavy at a measured 9 pounds on mine. Single action trigger pull is right a pound for follow up shots.

PT-92

Any of the aforementioned would serve you well--That being said, I use a
Beretta Bobcat21A in 22lr.

-Cheers

ClydeFrog

Good BUGs or 2nd guns in the $350-400.00 USD range ...

In the price range around $350.00-$400.00USD, I'd look at a Kel-Tec 9x19mm, a S&W 442/642 without a lawyer lock & a CT lasergrip(add-on), a Ruger SR9c 9mm or a Ruger LCR .357magnum with a CT lasergrip.
A simple DA only 5/6 shot revolver can offer good protection.
Im not a big fan of "mouse-guns"(.32acp, .380acp, .25acp, etc) even for 2nd guns.
There are many decent 9x19mm & .38spl +P or .357mag snubs on the US market.
The PX4 sub-compact is good too but I'm not thrilled with slide mounted Walther type safety controls.
A good LCR or 5 shot J frame Smith & Wesson can defend you. 5 shot snubs have been used by many cops & armed citizens for decades.

Clyde

Walklightly

Rewrite by a 9yo

Looking for a BUG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This coincides with the other thread that I posted in the semi auto forum, but while I was in my lgs today, I got to hold a LCP, which I really liked except for the caliber.

I don't really want to stray from what I already have which is 22, 38, 9mak, 9mm and 45.

What would you all suggest that would be in the pocket carry size but offered in one of the calibers I already have? Also, trying to keep this to about $350 or under.

How'd my 9yo son do?