Looking for a barrel mount scope base for take down 10-22

got a buddy that bought one of the take down Ruger 10-22's... we are looking for a base if there is one already made, that will replace the barrel mounted rear sight, for use with a long eye relief scope... thinking it would be more accurate with the barrel mounted scope, than a receiver mounted scope, with the take down design...

thoughts or ideas ???

jmr40

I think you are over thinking this. They are proving to work just fine as is, if they are put together properly. I understand where you are coming from, but it just isn't a problem to mount conventionally.

so the lock up of the barrel to receiver is tight enough, that we won't see a realistic difference in point of impact over 100's of times of pulling the gun apart & putting it back together ???

I would think if 100 yard shooting, it would be noticeable & more so, the more the gun was assembled & disassembled

we were thinking about drilling & tapping the barrel & using a 2-7 X pistol scope... the factory rear sight is pretty crabby ( you loosen a screw, & the sight falls free, in the sight base, so there is no incremental click, or even screw turn adjustment on the factory sight )

BTW... I e-mailed Ruger yesterday, asking if they offered a base for the barrel of their take down rifle, or knew of an aftermarket base... they replied 1st thing this morning ( very good reply time ) but unfortunately don't currently offer one, or know of any aftermarket manufacturer that does...

Thanks for the link PETAH...

I haven't thrown a caliper on the barrel, but think it's diameter is quite a bit smaller than the smaller diameter listed in the link... but maybe with 22 caliber recoil levels, a smaller diameter barrel will work, with more Acraglass ???

I may just send a thick ( don't remember the item number ) Weaver base over to my retired machinist buddy, & have him contour the Weaver base, & drill & tap a couple holes ???

jmr40

The Ruger has an adjustment ring that can be adjusted to make up for any wear over time. As long as you adjust things properly you shouldn't have a problem with conventional scope mounting. That is what I did. No problems. If this becomes a problem in the future I'm sure someone will come out with a mount to correct the problem.