Looking for a 44/40 cartridge

byronw999

Send me yer address and I'll mail you one... I need to load up some 44/40s next week for my cowboy rifle...

I'll send you one with spent primer, no powder and bullet seated..

Gbro

[I'll send you one with spent primer, no powder and bullet seated.. ]

Just as a good rule of thumb, a spent primer is not a good indication of a dummy cartridge. A hole drilled into or through the case to verify there is no powder is highly recomended.

About 10 years ago a 1873 Springfield rifle being shown in a youth firearms safety class in Minnesota was discharged into the ceiling. One of the other instructors had a 45-70 cartridge in his collection that had a struck primer, well it was thought to be a dummy because of the firing pin strike.
So no primer or a hole through the case is the only way we are allowed to bring ammo displays into a class.

And as Pahoo says,
Be Safe!

byronw999

oops... I didnt catch these replies till just now... Mailed out the round on Monday...

I took a brand new case (so no powder residue), primed it with a spent primer and seated a bullet...I load black powder only so a used case even when clean is still dirty to an extent...

You'll have to drill it out yourself if you think it's necessary.. Good idea tho! That way there is no doubt it's a dummy round..