Looking for a .410

Laker

I live in a semi rural area and get skunks, groundhogs, and other small critters in my yard and barn. I've been using a .22 for pest control and think I'd like to get a single shot or double barrel .410. Any suggestions?

BigJimP

On a budget ....Browning makes a nice pump gun in .410 ....for around $ 500....and its a gun you'll be proud to have for a long time.

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...d=012&type_id=211&content=bps-hunter-firearms
------------------

Browning Citori Lightning is a decent gun in an Over /Under ...if you prefer that style ...and sells new in my area for around $ 1,750 ...

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...type_id=461&content=citori-lightning-firearms

------------------
There are some less expensive options out there - typically from your big box stores ...Dicks, or whatever ...but its mostly junk in my opinion. Shop around your area at the used gun stores ...you might find something there too ...

I don't like semi-auto shotguns in .410 ...but Remington, etc made them for a long time -- and there are a lot of them around. But for a good long term gun on a budget ...I'd pick the Browning BPS pump gun ...( I've had a pair of them since the late 70's in 12ga and 20ga and they're still solid guns with many thousands of shells thru them at this point).

oneounceload

On the cheap end is the H&R/NEF single shots - on the high end are some Spanish doubles - in between are a lot of great choices

jaguarxk120

Start looking for a Savage Model 24 O/U in 22LR/410.That little O/U will give you the best of both, a 22LR and the 410 shotgun.

PetahW

I second the H&R/NEF break-open single-shot @ about $140.

I have an old (ca.1922) .410 break-open single that's a great barn gun.

Laker

I think the H&R is close to what I'm looking for. I don't think I want to take an $1800 Browning out by the barn to shoot a skunk. Although they are beautiful shotguns.

oregunner

I have a Mossberg 500 pump in 410. It has been a solid little gun, and would give an option of multiple shots if you missed the skunk on the first shot, and just got him P.O.ed. Mark

zippy13

Come on, Big Jim, my friend, the OP is asking about a single shot and you're recommending a pump or O/U. I know it's a bitter pill for you to swallow, but sometimes a Browning isn't the solution. ;)

Yung.gunr

Got my wife a Stoeger O/U in a youth size. Not suggesting that so much as the Stoeger. Although the youth one may be good as a barn gun, more compact...
Anyway, yeah it's not the masterpiece that you will find with some other shotguns, but I doubt you want to spend that much on a barn gun.

I would look into the Stoeger for what you are describing.

Just checked on the price and the youth is the least expensive and it is the Condor that we got her.

OkieCruffler

H&R topper would work fine for what you're describing but I must advise against shooting skunks near anything you'd like to keep with a .410 (don't ask :eek: )

grandpajoe

I got a Remington 870 express pump a few years ago for about $250.00 at Wmart. I know the OP said a single shot but considering the gun the cost was pretty good. Never mind I now see SS or DB. Sorry

darkgael

You are not going to beat the H&R singles for price. For a barn gun, used occasionally, that may be all you need. Slightly up in price is that Mossberg pump gun...I have had one for years. Nice and light (a Browning, it ain't but then this is a barn gun). Also, Stoeger ( remember...barn gun) makes a handy little SXS .410 coach gun for a few hundred dollars.
Pete

BigJimP

You're right zippy ....but by the same token, a $500 BPS pump gun is a gun he'd have for a long time... - and a way better option than the H&R .....

Buying a Citori Lightning ...for a barn gun ...if he has no other uses for a .410.....would not be smart ....

I don't have any practical use for a .410 .../ I bought my .410 O/U so I could shoot sub-gagues in sporting clays tournaments several yrs ago ....and I shoot it at skeet these days when I want to aggravate myself ...or I just want to challenge myself ( as you know, its a good learning tool - tells me what I'm doing wrong on my swing fundamentals ) - and helps me self diagnose what I'm doing a little bit.

My recommendation on the Citori Lightning ...wasn't that serious / but sometimes the OP's don't really have any idea what is out there in terms of serious guns in the .410 or 28ga ..../ so I'm just saying its there. If I really wanted a "barn gun" ...I'd buy the BPS.

zippy13

If it weren't required in 4-gun shoots, cheap to shoot, and a good training aid, I wouldn't have anything to do with the .410-bore -- it patterns poorly* and a bother to reload.
* A donut pattern, where the target went through the hole, was the difference between me being a chump instead of a champ at the NSSA's US Open! The box of .410s was the only one I've ever seen that had only 22 shells in a factory sealed box. AAs QC let me down that day.​

BigJimP

Wow, I'd be upset to zippy....to lose based on that...

For what its worth ....410's in Rem STS hulls / or the older Win AA's load very easily on the MEC 9000 HN hydraulic ...if you turn the volume of hydraulic fluid down ...so the machine operates more smoothly and the shell holder rotates more smoothly. I suspect you'd get the same results on the MEC electric base model...but not sure. I have not seen the typical "shot bridging issues" on my MEC 9000 HN's ...and I don't know if they modified the shot tube or not to improve it on the .410 models.

But I suspect the OP isn't worried about reloading the .410's ...

absolute0

.410's are fun to be sure.

But the OP's needs are crying out to be met with and old H&R or department store brand single shot...maybe an old Winchester if he's feeling extravegant ;)

Last edited:

Cowboy_mo

Ithaca made a .410 single shot with a lever to open the barrel. These guns are very handy and very light to tote around.

I have had my brother's for a couple of years and it is a terrific squirrel and varmit killer.

I'm sure you could find one on Gunbroker, one of the other guns for sale sights, or one of the local used gun stores.

Almost forgot, since possible multiple shots have been mentioned, keep one or 2 shells in your left hand (assuming you're right handed) as the little .410s fit well between your fingers and it is pretty quick to reload.:D