Looking for a 22

Sam06

Seeing the thread below got me wanting to ask a question. But I did not want to hijack the thread.

So here it is:
I want a 22 Bolt Action that can accept a scope but I want a tube fed gun. Its hard to find a good tube feed bolt action 22 anymore. I want a used one and for under 200 bucks if I can find it. If ya'll can list some model numbers and Manufactures it would help narrow the search.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Sam06

I really would like a Remington 582

I will do a search for those 2 models, thanks!

edit;

The Winchester 72A is a nice looking rifle but some are grooved for a scope and some are not. They are on the edge of the price I would pay also.

Same thing with the sportsmaster but it looks more promising price wise.

RimfireChris

Marlin 981T or it's stainless cousin the 981TS. I have a 981TS and it is very accurate, and it will take a scope either on the 3/8" dovetail or you can pick from several different styles of weaver bases, I have a DIP one piece one on it now. Mine was $250 out the door but you might be able to find it cheaper, I'm sure the regular blued version outta be in your range. And they're tube fed.

Doyle

For the Rem 512, it has to be the "X" version unless you want to pay to have a gunsmith drill and tap it for you. The 512X has the factory scope grooves. The 512 doesn't have either groover or tapped holes.

Great guns. I've got a 512X that I've been meaning to try and restore.

kx592

I say a savage mark II wood model would be perfect, cost 180 at dicks, very accurate and works flawlessly. Great support from savage if something ever happens.

ThomasT

I have the 981T blued that cost me $173 OTD new in the box. I have seen them cheaper than that. They are a little hard to find but worth the search.

It comes with a grooved receiver and is also drilled and tapped for bases if you prefer that. I have 3 marlin bolt actions with tube feeds and really prefer them the mag fed rifles. You almost never hear any complaints on marlin accuracy. Darn good guns for the money.

No doubt the remingtons are nice but they will be way over $200. Even used the price will be $250 and on up.

Sam06

kx, All the savage MK II I am seeing are magazine fed.

ratshooter, I am leaning toward the Marlin 981t. It looks like a good solid gun. I would prefer a wood stock and all I have seen were plastic.

EDIT;

The Marlin 881 looks like a very nice rifle. Wood, tube feed, scope groove..Now I need to find a nice used one somewhere.

Last edited:

ThomasT

Sam you can order a wood stock from Marlin. Also check wwwrimfirecentral.com for used marlins and you might even find a wood stock.

Tell you the truth I really like the synthetic stock on mine. And its not a flimsy wet rag feeling stock like came on my savage 223 that cost me $140 to replace. Totally ruined savages for me.

The synthetic is light weight and slim. It feels nice to hold. Also the buttplate can be removed and a plastic block taken out and you have storage for ammo, knife and matches. A ready made emergency gun.

Bigfatts

If you're buying a used .22 go for the gold. Mossberg 146b. Most accurate .22 I've ever had, out shot my Win 52. Tube fed, lead lapped bbl, regular bbl sight and a peep and a .22 that really feels like a rifle. I doubt you'll find someone with one that doesn't love it.

Sam06

Bigfatts, I checked out the 146b and I am not sure if I am ready for that boss looking bolt handle or the cool ass looking finger groove stock. I am sure they are nice little rifles but I think I am a little too old fashion for that model:eek: Thanks though and don't think I am making fun of you.

Rat, That is a plus on the plastic stock. I have a 22 Mag with the same stock and I did just that. I do like wood stocks but if I can find what i want I will jump on it. Thanks again

I am narrowing down the list and I appreciate all the help from ya'll

Sam

BamaBowtie

Well, since you mentioned used. Look for some old J. C. Higgins or Marlin's at the pawn shops. I have picked up several of these old guns for $25-$60. Most of them shoot pretty good too.

Bigfatts

Sam, I admit the Mossbergs looks can be an acquired taste, but you will be hard pressed to outshoot one without going to a target style gun.