Looking for a 1911

44 AMP

Staff
Does anyone currently make, or recent production, a modern Colt Govt Model /M1911?

I have a friend who would like one. He's ok with better than original sights, but he wants one with the original size ejection port. I think he would be ok with either a 1911 or 1911A1 type frame.

Is anyone making the equivalent of a 1920 Colt Govt Model?

He's also looking for one of the early type extended grip safeties. NOT the ones with the whale tail and or speedbump, just one that is as wide as the frame where it sticks out.

Thanks.

Urban_Redneck

Colt Series 70

O1970A1CS_450w.jpg

WVsig

Edited because I the more I read it the more the 70 series makes sense.

Last edited:

Martowski

Cimarron Arms makes one with the original size ejection port and a pre-A1 style frame. More of a WWI style pistol.

scottl

Over at the 1911 forum some say the new Auto Ordnance are pretty good since Kahr took over but the early ones are junk.

But they have series 80 style safety.

ClydeFrog

New type 1911s....

The 1911/1911a1 line has boomed since the early 2000s. I'd look at the Para USA GI models, the Auto Ord 1911a1 US Army model, the Colts, Remington 1911R1, Ruger SR1911. The Taurus, Kimber & S&W models are good too.
Depending on your tastes or budget, you should find a new 1911a1 model that meets your needs.

I like the new USMC Colt .45acp & the older Kimber Desert Warrior. The Dan Wesson & S&W E Series .45acp pistols are good too.

crashxl

The para gi expert is a great gun for the money. You just have to plan to buy some good mags To go with it. The two it comes with are garbage.

DaleA

44amp - YOU are asking US???

(note to moderators (other moderators) check to see if 44amp id has been hijacked)

Tom Servo said:
Springfield also does a couple of "Mil-Spec" models that are good buys for the money.
But I believe the Springfield Mil-Spec has a lowered ejection port and slanted cocking serrations, so it doesn't meet the OP's criteria for looking original.

Since he's really looking for a 1920s vintage reproduction, the Cimmaron is a possibility. There's also the Colt WW1 reproduction (the model O1918) -- I don't know if Colt is still producing those but, if not, it might be possible to find on N.I.B. somewhere.

44 AMP

Staff
44amp - YOU are asking US???

(note to moderators (other moderators) check to see if 44amp id has been hijacked)

Thank you for your concern. I assure you I have not been hijacked, I am still me. Of course, if I had been hijacked, I'd say the same thing...:D

Thanks for all the replies telling me what a good 1911 is.

The reason I am asking YOU is that I have not kept up well with all the current makers and models. It's nowhere near as simple a task as it was when I was a lad. Back then, there was one .45auto, the Colt. Ok, you could sometimes find a LLama or Star, but no one with the coin for a Colt would look at one of them....

The series 70 is a good gun, collet bushing excepted. But its not the gun my friend is looking for. He wants a new made (or fairly recent production) gun with the small ejection port found on the original GI and commercial pistols. Not the enlarged port found on the 1911A1s, of the lowered & enlarged port on more modern versions.

Not looking for just a good 1911 pattern gun, he has several, including a couple of the PARA double stack guns.

Thanks Martowski, that is the kind of info I'm looking for. Will check out (or have him do his own legwork, this time;)) the Cimmeron Arms offernings.

Anyone know of any others? Better than original sights are ok, want something with the look of the original ejection port.

This isn't going to be a carry gun, or combat gun, and won't be used in competition either. So telling me about why a gun with better features would be a better choice for this or that isn't what I'm looking for. I understand the intent, and I thank you for the replies. We have those guns. What he wants is a gun with that certain "look" for casual plinking, and so he can admire it, and wants a modern made one so there are no concerns about using an original. If we don't find a complete gun, finding where to get the right parts to build it is acceptable too.

Thanks for the help!
44AMO...er

44AMP
;)

Martowski

No problem. A lot of the Cimarron guns have a matte parkerized finish, but they can be had with a gloss blue that is very nice looking. With the original frame, smooth mainspring housing, and smaller "non-flared" ejection port it's about the closest thing I've seen to a WWI style 1911 that won't set you back a grand.

g.willikers

Yes, the Springfield GI is about what he wants.
Unfortunately it's no longer in their catalog.
But it was only discontinued a couple of years ago, so there's a good chance of finding one, still.

WVsig

The series 70 is a good gun, collet bushing excepted. But its not the gun my friend is looking for. He wants a new made (or fairly recent production) gun with the small ejection port found on the original GI and commercial pistols. Not the enlarged port found on the 1911A1s, of the lowered & enlarged port on more modern versions.

The current 70 series does not have collet bushing. It has a standard bushing and is currently being produced with everything else he is looking for if I read the OP correctly.

Features

High Profile Sights
Spur Hammer
Standard Safety Lock
Standard Grip Safety
Short Steel Trigger
Standard Ejection Port

A Colt WWI Repo or Black Oxide gun would also work. They are out of production but can be found anywhere from $1200 to $1500. The only issue is the thumb safety is a a tiny.

WWI1911ReproonBoxsmall-1.jpg

There are also the 100 year Anniversary guns like the Tier III which have the older rollmarks and black oxide finishes but they are also out of production and have the same tiny thumb safety.

Last edited:

dsk

1. The new ones have been in production since 2002 and have a solid bushing, not the old breakage-prone collet one used from 1970-1988.

2. The ejection port on a new Series 70 is the same size as an early WW1-era 1911. Colt enlarged the port on the Series 80 models, and Springfield also uses a lowered port except on the discontinued WW2 model. A Series 70 is about as close as you can currently get to a 1920's era Colt, with the finish, serrated control surfaces and slightly larger sights being the only significant differences.