Looking for a 1911 Commander

Lunker

I am looking for a Commander length 1911 in 45ACP that will be accurate enough to target shoot well at 25 yards. I am comfortable spending up to the $1000 range (although hopefully less).

I have a few preferences, but they are not dealbreakers
1) I prefer blued guns.
2) No Front Cocking serrations. - I don't like having my hand anywhere near the muzzle of the gun. I don't use them and think they detract from the look of the gun.

How much of a difference in recoil is there between a steel framed commander and an aluminum/scandium one?

Here are the guns I have been looking at so far:
Dan Wesson CBOB (doesn't meet either of my criteria but people rave about its quality)
S&W SW1911 (the commander model is a lightweight frame)
Colt Commanders (XSE models are all lightweight, 1991A1 model has crappy GI sights, and I don't know if it's easy to swap them out for better ones)

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only brands I won't consider are Kimber and Para (from personal and friends' experiences).

awpk03s

I will recommend the DW CBOB. It's stainless, but NO front cocking serrations. For the price range you mentioned, I don't think you can find a better commander sized pistol.

The bobtail really does help with grip comfort and concealment. Contrasting (yellow/green) night sights, front strap checkering, extremely tight fit and finish and superb quality/accuracy, plus a host of Ed Brown components. Can't go wrong - but then again, this is a pistol that I own. I'm a little biased.

BanditSRT8

Dan Wesson CBOB (doesn't meet either of my criteria but people rave about its quality)
S&W SW1911 (the commander model is a lightweight frame)
Colt Commanders

DW = Excellent choice on a proven quality pistol

S&W = Probably the single most reliable 1911 platform out there right now. I had all but given up on 1911's until I got my S&W Doug Koenig (which is the exact model I recommend to everyone).

Colt = Overpriced. You're paying for the heritage, but sadly not getting the performance. I've never owned a Colt 1911 that didn't have some catastrophic failures. This includes Colt Custom Shop pieces.

But honestly, as long as you steer clear of Kimber, you'll be fine.

Jason_G

Another DW recommendation here.

I liked the Colt XSE except for the grip safety and the firing pin block.
S&W will also have "extra parts" (a la Swartz style safety), some of which I believe are proprietary to S&W. Not something I care for, but it may not be a deal breaker for you.

Jason

PetahW

I have long missed the 70-series Lightweight .45 Commander I gave my Grandson a few years ago, and too have been looking for another I liked as much.

What I found/bought, is something I wasn't looking for, but I like the way it looks/feels/carries/shoots every bit as much as my older gun.

DSCN0756.jpg

It's a .45 Springfield stainless Loaded Champion (4" bbl).

Now............. If I can only figure out if one of the .22 conversion units will fit, or can be fitted, to it, I'll be ecstatic.

BillCA

I picked up the S&W 1911Sc (now called the PD) two years ago and I'm glad I did. It's light, tight and accurate. It's only failing, at this moment, is that it doesn't digest the Speer Gold Dot JHP's. That's fine, as I have a lot of Hydrashock 230g for it.
1911sc.jpg

And while it has the front cocking serrations, I've simply never used them. Recoil is a bit more brisk than the steel framed 1911's. But it is similar to .38 +P in a 5-shot snubby. The 1911's lightness is an advantage here, since it can be quickly brought back on target. If this would be your first .45 ACP pistol and/or recoil isn't on your fun list, you might wait on this one.

Springfield Loaded Champion
I'm throwing this one out as an example of Springfield's Commander sized pistols. This one is stainless, but blued versions are available. It's solid, heavy and accuracy is good. Not as good as the S&W, but good enough. No front cocking serrations, night sights, extended safety and beavertail with palm swell like the S&W. The long, lightened trigger is joyful and breaks crisply at 4.33 pounds.
SpringChampRed1.jpg

Detractions are the internal locking system (ILS) in a flat mainspring housing. I've been thinking of replacing it with a non-lock equipped arched MSH when the money is available. Doesn't affect performance one whit I can see though. It also has a full-length guide rod and that complicated disassembly a little.

The grips shown are Alumagrips etched with the Great Seal by gungrips.net.

I also own Colt Combat Commanders in 9mm and .45 ACP. While I always appreciate the looks of the Colt bluing and the way they fit my hand, S&W probably makes the tightest, best fit and most accurate 1911 in normal distrubution. Springfields are quality guns and their service, like S&W's is very good.

Sig-Sauer makes a high end 1911 in their Platinum line that I think is attractive, but expensive. The lines are eye-pleasing and Sig did a nice job of making it look good. I've not heard any shooting reports as yet, however.
Sig1911_PlatinumEliteCarry_left.jpg

KyJim

Colt Commanders (XSE models are all lightweight, 1991A1 model has crappy GI sights, and I don't know if it's easy to swap them out for better ones)
The Colt 1991A1 model does not have the "crappy GI sights." They have high profile 3-dot sights. They're just not the Novak style on the XSE series. I find these sights to be adequate.

For a blued Commander, I would look hard at the Colt. If stainless steel isn't a deal breaker, I would get the Dan Wesson.

Lunker

KyJim said:
The Colt 1991A1 model does not have the "crappy GI sights." They have high profile 3-dot sights. .

Perhaps I can rephrase and not use the word "crappy", but those old style GI sights don't give me (my limitation) a good enough site picture to shoot well with.
Unless the pictures on the Colt website need to be updated (which is a possibility. It is a lame site), it looks like GI sights to me on the 1991 series pistols. I guess the front blade is a little taller than original GI, but the rear sights look like the original V-blade GI style to me. Maybe we're talking about something different?

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q99-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx

45Gunner

attachment.php

Can't figure out why people bad mouth Kimber. I have two that are absolutely flawless shooters and the most accurate gun out of the boxes that I have ever owned. This particular gun is almost 11 years old and has had thousands of rounds fired. The grips are not stock and I added night sights to it.

Two other 1911 models to consider are the S&W 1911 PD which is an accurate, out of the box gun and the Sig Sauer C3 1911.

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 554
Can't figure out why people bad mouth Kimber. I have two that are absolutely flawless shooters and the most accurate gun out of the boxes that I have ever owned. This particular gun is almost 11 years old and has had thousands of rounds fired. The grips are not stock and I added night sights to it.

isn't it funny how people that get a good kimber just can't figure out why people badmouth them so much? ;)

(use google, my friend)

1911 Shooter

45 gunner, Kimber quaility has went in the crapper now for the last 4-5 years. You have a older, quaility pistol. hang on to it.

Oldjarhead

Colt 1991A1

There are a lot of good 1911s out there, but none have the value and just great "right out of the box" quality the Colts they are making today. My all stainless 1991A1 that I purchased in July of 2008, had performed flawlessly. All types of ammo and not a single malfunction. Shoots accurately and for the $800 I paid for it, I think I got a good deal.:cool:

FALshootist

Colt = Overpriced. You're paying for the heritage, but sadly not getting the performance. I've never owned a Colt 1911 that didn't have some catastrophic failures. This includes Colt Custom Shop pieces.

Absolute nonsense. Colts are as good or better now than they ever were. I've got a 25 year old commander and a new combat elite. Both are accurate, reliable and well fitted and finished.

I'll bet an independant investigation would show that any catastrophic failure was more than likely caused by sub par reloads rather than weapon related problem.

Sarge43

Can't go wrong with the DW CBOB. Beautiful, accurate, reliable AND solid as a rock.
Good luck in your search!
Sarge
afzxylaycbob1.jpg

whippoorwill

Dan Wesson CBOB
Kimber (many models)
Springfield Champion

All would be fine choices. I don't have experience with Colts, other than my Mustang (fake 1911). But you sure here a lot of good things about their Commanders, and they're purty too.