Looking for 9mm 1911 - suggestions?

bedbugbilly

I had a pristine Colt 1911A1 with original holster, pistol belt, mag pouch and mags that I sold recently as it was a collector's piece and a safe queen - not a shooter. It had been brought back from WWII by a Navy pilot to whom the outfit was issued. No - I don't regret selling it as I would never have shot it - just me. However, I've been thinking that I would like to have a 1911-A! to shoot but in 9mm - ammo is cheaper than 45, I don't reload and I just prefer a 9mm over a 45 ACP. I like the looks and feel of the 1911 and the history behind it appeals as well.

That being said, can some of you who are in to the 1911s give me suggestions on brands, etc. of 9mm 1911s. I'm not too familiar with what is out there although I've been looking. What I'd like is a 9mm that is identical in size, etc. to the Government issue 1911 or 1911-A1 in either blue or parkerized finish.

I see that RIA has a 9mm 1911 that's parkerized but know nothing about RIA in regards to fit/finish, function, etc. I also know that you "get what you pay for" - but I don't want to break the bank either. I'd greatly appreciate input and suggestions on what's available out there in a 9mm 1911, what to look for and what to avoid. Many thanks!

BDM 9MM

Good luck on your search. I have a Kimber, Ultra Carry II, 9MM, SS that I like very much. Owned it a little over a year, >2,000 rounds downrange and flawless so far. Let Kimber haters come forth! Dan

TMD

IMAG0067.jpg
[/IMG]

Can't speak for the RIA but I do have a SA Loaded with adjustable sights in 9mm. It's the second one from the left in the pic. I bought it a few years ago for $900, not sure what their going for today. Some say a 1911 in anything other than .45 is sacreligious, I say this gun is a dream to shoot.

Dino.

I just bought a Springfield Loaded 9mm today!
I looked at many different manufactures over the years (STI, RIA, Taurus, etc..) but I felt the Springfield offered the best quality.
Not to mention the lifetime warranty and outstanding customer service.

Mrgunsngear

IMAG0608.jpg

My RIA 9mm Tac has been flawless. 0 malfunctions and I teach new shooters on it all the time so I'm sure there is rabid limp wristing going on... It is an accurate gun with a decent trigger to boot.

erob3

When I first joined TFL options for a 1911 9mm were slim, however, now there are several. Like you, I prefer the 9mm over a .45 for many of the same reasons including cost of ammo. I know you said you wanted the GI version but I would encourage you to look at the Tactical models as well as the GI version; the tactical version offers better sights, skeleton trigger, combat hammer as well as a few other improvements. You can get a Rock Island 1911 9mm Tactical for under $500 and for the price it is the best 1911 you will find, for that matter it is probably better than many 1911's that are more expensive. Mine shot great right out of the box and has gotten better, as well as my aim. :) Taurus also comes in under $600 - never had or shot one of these so I can't comment. If you want to jump to the $700 - $900 range look for a Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Para and a few others. I have owned both a Colt and SA out of this group, sold the SA - trigger pull was heavy but it gave no problems. The Colt I have is an older 80 series GI and has been flawless as expected. Then you get to the above $900 range; only pistol I can talk about in this range is my S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series. It is so good it makes even me look good. ;) Bottom line is there are alot of options available, GI vs Tactical models, blue or SS or parkerized.....the list goes on. Check this website, it may give you some ideas of what is available...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=1911+9mm&SearchType=1

There are 8 pages of results. Good luck, hope this helps.

KyJim

I have three 1911 9mms. I really like the STI Spartan for a street price of around $625. It is built by Armscor which also builds RIA but Armscor uses a forged frame on the STI and uses STI's fire control group -- trigger, sear, etc. They also build it to STI specs and then STI inspects the pistol in Texas and services it there if necessary.

I have been very pleased with mine. It has a good trigger, is reliable, and is accurate. It has a parkerized finish and comes with adjustable rear sights and a fiber optic front sight. STI has now come out with different barrel lengths for the Spartan and the five inch model, which I recommend, is now called the Spartan V. http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-v-2/

tulsamal

I just saw that gun on Bud's yesterday and thought what an amazingly good deal that was. Didn't even know STI was selling a gun for that low a price. I went to a 1911 forum and, as you said, it is made abroad but in a factory where STI setup the equipment and trained the workers. Then the guns are sent back to Texas to be inspected. And they warranty them. Considering the STI reputation, the features, and the price, I'm really tempted to buy one and I don't need one at all!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...77/products_id/411542287/STI+SPARTAN+9MM+10RD

Gregg

gunluver

I also have a STI Startan V (5" barrel)
IMO excellent gun for the money (got mine for $619)
Not the best "looks" but that is subjective.
So far about 500 trouble free rounds through mine, and it's every bit as accurate as my Dan Wesson (not as good fit and finish though)

I'll probably use it for IDPA this year, I wont worry about scratching it since I don't care for the finish anyway.....might eventually have it hard-chromed

I would definitely recommend the Spartan

BigJimP

In 1911's - to me, it all comes down to the quality of the trigger...

A lot of the guns in the under $1,000 price ranges ...seem to have some pretty gritty triggers, or maybe they break with a little hitch in them - or they just plain break at between 6 - 8 lbs....which is way too high to me.

So pick the gun you can find with the best trigger in it. You'll be surprised, if you dry fire 10 guns ...how much variation you're going to find ...even within one mfg's guns ...and it seems to run in cycles. For awhile Springfield had some pretty good triggers - now even in the 9mm loaded models I see, they seem to be pretty crummy ...

I like a 5" 1911 in 9mm ( and I have a pair of them - a Les Baer and a Wilson) and the Wilson, hands down, is one of the 2 or 3 best guns I have. In terms of affordable 1911's in 5" - in 9mm ....I'd look at Springfield, a Colt if you can find some, even some of the Kimbers....but I think you'll find what you want from Springfield.

Eppie

Hi bedbugbilly,
I just bought a this Para 18.9 in 9mm
attachment.php

I've only had my Para out to the range twice. First time out I had a few FTE, it is normal for me on a new gun. The second time it worked without a single failure.

If, unlike me, you're not hung up on hi cap I think all the above suggestions seem very reasonable. I bought the cheapest thing that would meet my criteria. Today's computerized machines can crank out products that are more accurate at a lower price point than used to be true in the past.

Upgraded fiber optic sights are nice accessories and may improve one's shooting if you can swing it. It is my opinion that most guns can out shoot their owners. It is certainly true for me.

Last edited:

Caz83

I own 2. A para carry 9 1911 DA and a Dan Wesson Guardian. They both run flawless except the para is picky with JHP. I have to use Corbon Pwr ball for defense rounds.

FYI featured at the shot show, RIA is releasing a Hi cap double stack of the full rail Tactical very soon that comes with ambi safety, magwell funnel, FO front and adjustable rear sight. They are selling a .45 and 9mm version. Thing looks sweet!!!

ms6852

I shot a 1911 in 9mm about 3 weeks ago. It was really a great great joy to shoot. Buddy of mine had just gotten it real beauty too. Smith and Wesson made it.

geetarman

I just got back from the range. I ran almost 300 rounds through a Sig P229, CZ SP01 and a Dan Wesson PM9.

Not a single failure. The Dan Wesson now has about 250 rounds through it.

As soon as I warm up, I am headed out to the garage to clean them.

All of those guns shoot really well, but the smoothness of the Dan Wesson is something to behold.

To be fair, the gun cost a whole lot more than the CZ and about $450 more than the Sig.

I waited over a year to get one and the CZ custom shop in Mesa got 10 of them in. Lucky for me, I got one before they were all gone.

It is quite a gun. If any of you get a chance to shoot one, you should.

It will make a believer out of you.

Geetarman:D

RickB

I had a Springfield loaded, with adjustable sights, for a short (very short) time, and was very pleased with the gun's fit and finish. For what they cost, they are very nice pistols. My plan was to convert it to 9x23, but a friend wanted it worse than I did, so now he's the happy owner.