Looking for .45ACP 155 SWC/Alliant data

JT-AR-MG42

Anybody mess with the 155gr. lead SWCs in their .45?

Picked up a box of 500 to play around with. Alliant shows no loads at all.

Looking for something in the 800 fps area.

Thanks, JT

moxie

I don't recall ever seeing data for such light bullets. Your best bet is to contact whoever made them.

Adamantium

The 2004 Alliant load guide has loads for several powders in that caliber/bullet weight. All are 1100+ fps though.

6.9 Bullseye 1,175 fps
5.8 Red Dot 1,155 fps
6.0 American Select 1,125 fps
6.6 Green Dot 1,165 fps
7.8 Unique 1,190 fps
8.5 Herco 1,185 fps

The smart thing to do would be to pick a fast powder like Bullseye or Red Dot and reduce the load accordingly. So if 6.9 grains nets you 1175 fps, then each grain = 170 fps. So 4.7 grains will yield approx 800 fps. Or buy a chorograph, but this way is free.

PS I'd take Alliant's 2004 manual over the stuff on their website any day, it is heads and shoulders above the current load data in powder and bullet selection. Just be careful with the Blue Dot loads as those have been adjusted a bit.

JT-AR-MG42

Thanks Adamantium,

I've got the old guides around, just can never find them.

Sounds like your idea is the way to go. Looking for function with a 1911.

Gonna put a few together with Bullseye - 4.5 - and work my way up.
My partner has our PACT now so maybe after getting an accurate 25 yd. load functioning, I'll run a few across.

I've drifted away from Blue Dot as the lots have always varied a bit too much to suit me. It is an 8lb. kind of powder.
Narrowed things down to Bullseye and Herco for the bulk of my loading.

Now, to find those manuals!

JT

moxie

adamantium,

A few points.

First, you're assuming a linear relationship between powder charge and velocity. Dangerous assumption. While this often appears to be the case, it often is not, giving unexpected pressure spikes.

Second, the paper copy load books Alliant puts out give MAX charge only. The starting charge is 10% less than the max charge. This is listed under one of the warnings in the front of the book.

JT,

While 4.5 Bullseye might be a good starting point you need to be aware of the above points. The 4.5 load is well below the starting load based on the max numbers quoted above. Better yet, if you don't want to go that fast, a safer route might be to get some 185 or 200 SWCs for which there is plenty of published data giving speeds in the 800fps range or somewhat less.

Adamantium

Okay :rolleyes:. I'm not too worried about powders like Bullseye or Red Dot giving random pressure spikes when loaded to 60-70% of max load. You seem like someone who should be here learning and not giving advice. I count two posts and yet zero useful bits of information added to this discussion.

I'll also consider putting all reloading safety precaution known to man in my signature just in case another poster doesn't know them. That's sure a lot easier than typing them out every single time. :rolleyes:

totaldla

Fast pistol powders to go slow is good advice. The only other thing I'll mention is to play around with case mouth belling to see what works best for you. When I used 155lswc I found them to be rather tippy and prone to crooked seating unless they were started straight.

moxie

Regardless of your feelings about the need for safety precautions, I hold that one should not recommend loads that are outside of published data on this site.

Not everyone is an "expert." Not everyone knows all the pitfalls of loading outside the margins. This is not the place for that kind of advice.

The Alliant Reloader's Guides are specific in cautioning to "use only the exact type and quantity described herein."

Sport45

It doesn't take a lot of pressure to get that bullet to 800fps in .45acp. I suspect even the faster powders are going to be dirty and inefficient. Expect a lot of case blowby and chamber fouling.

totaldla

Moxie: There's a wealth of information on making low velocity loads (plinkers) using fast pistol powders. Powders used this way are very safe even though they may not be listed in the manufacturers load data.

3gr of Hodgdon Clays will burn clean. Even if you accidently double it you won't blow up the pistol (but it will get your attention). The stubby case of the 45acp allows a pretty small charge before position sensitivity shows up.

The only other problem I forgot to mention is that a 155gr @800fps probably won't cycle the slide cleanly on a stock 1911.

Plinkers are fun to mess around with. I went through a phase where I was pushing a 155gr lswc to 1200+fps before I decided that I didn't like the recoil feel and the bullet seating hassle with my Dillon.

Here is some info on CAS loads using pistol powders that you might find interesting.