Looking at buying a Sig 228

Logs

Currently own a 226 229 and 220, but found a deal on a Sig 228 online.

I understand these are discontinued and I haven't held one before. I was wanting to see who had one and what you thought about it?

Does it feel similar to a 229? Anything I should know about them? Can you still get mags?

Thanks,

rellascout

They are not discontiued. They are not being imported into the US for the civilan market anymore.

Mags are easy to get. Factory and Megars work great.

Very similar to the P229 but better balanced in the 9mm IMHO.

How much you paying? New or used?

rellascout

Good deal on a local sale.

Mecgar mags are the way to go. You get an extra 2 rounds 15 +1. You can even used a 17 round P226 mag with a special base plate and load 17+1 flush fit.

the P228 was for the US military, and the P229 was for us on the homefront. i remember reading in one of my gun books, the P229, was designed for carry, cause it has rounder edges, that wont snag when drawing. of course the P228 was made for the 9mm, so for 9mm it might be better. you can find them for around $400 for a used one. i have seen some pretty beat up ones, i havent seen a new one though, so you might be limited to just used. but dont worry $igs are tough. according the the book i that i have in front of me.... "then came the P229, a variation of the P228 that has received a more rounded sight slide at the top incorporates aiming elements with highly contrasted reference points and is available as the option SL with a stainless sight slide or as another that combines the previous design with a nickel frame".

lmmmmm

you can find NIB 228's that are still being imported. there are some on several forums for sale. NIB are going for $750.

There are lots of CPO 228's as well going for $500 that are in excellent condition. These are reconditioned at the factory and resold.

i have a 228 and i shoot that better than any other 9mm i have.

Willy T

Some say the 228 points better but you would have to convince me. The milled non rail 229 is the gun of choice if I were asked.

rellascout

I personally like the balance of the P228 over the P229. The Milled Stainless steel slide adds weight and makes the gun top heavy IMHO.

I started the P228 so the P229 is just different not necessarily better.