looking at a win 70 had some questions...

UltimaSE

I've always enjoyed the idea of a nice long range rifle. However I've never been able to really justify it.

I however have stumbled across a winchester 70 chamered in .308 that looks pretty nice, and has the hogue stock that I would change already done.

It is described as "This is a Winchester M70SA Ranger bolt action rifle in .308 caliber. It has been mounted in a full size Hogue stock and set up with a Burris 2 3/4X scope in a scout rifle arrangement. The Burris scope DOES NOT sell with the gun but you can make me an offer if you would like to keep it. The 16" barrel has custom shop angle cut muzzle brake porting. Trap door magazine."

I'm seriously thinking about this one, but being my first experience with rifles I have not clue what to ask or what to look for. The asking price at the time was 375.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advnace,
UltimaSE

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
You're going to lose some velocity with a 16" bbl. I've an M7 w/the 18.5" bbl & get right at 2400 fps with 165 grain bullets (handloads but pushing max for this powder).

That velocity loss isn't going to be that big a deal regards hunting (300 yds or so) but for really long range, the trajectory of the bullet will be more pronounced than if you were shooting out of a 20-26" bbl.

Something to consider.

UltimaSE

could you explain what the difference between the push feed versus the controlled feed? I'm not familiar with the difference.

Also how hard would it be to swap barrels? Is this even possible or am I just dreaming at this point?

Thanks again,
UltimaSE

Mike50

I am a Winchester 70 lover. Tried to get that for a name, but it was taken.

The push feed action pushes the cartridge out of the magazine and into the barrel, but does not "grasp" or "hold" the cartridge while it is traveling. The extractor does not engage the rim of the cartridge until it is pushed all the way in. The theory is, in the heat of action, you can "short-stroke" the bolt, try to force two cartridges into the action at once. Not a good thing when hunting big predators. Probably happens once every 2 or 3 billion years.

The controlled round feed action extractor grasps the cartridge as it comes up out of the magazine. If you pull the bolt back, it will pull the cartridge back with it (thereby eliminating the possibility of pulling the bolt back before the cartridge is all the way into the barrel, losing the cartridge, then picking up a new one on the way back forward). Sorry, I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this, but it takes a lot of space for a non-technical writer to describe the process.

The push feed actions will be more accurate, theoretically and minutely (according to Jim Carmichael and other experts), but not enough to be of practical consequence unless you are into target shooting for money. The controlled feed actions are "neater", historically significant, mechanically interesting, and have great tradition. That is really the major advantage.

I personally like the controlled round actions better for the reasons listed. But no one should put down the push feed actions. After all, they are patterned after the Remington 700's, but in some respects are better. I like the push feed extractor on the Winchester better because it can be repaired by anyone and it can be done in the field. That needs to be done, also, at least every 2 or 3 billion years.

You will notice that there is a pretty good business done by gunsmiths replacing Remington extractors with Sako extractors. They do that because they are easily modified to fit. Once again, the Winchester push feed extractor is better. It has better gas sealing, more head support, and is more easily fixed.

Both Winchesters are awesome guns. Truly awesome. The company built some sorry specimens for about 6 to 8 years in the 60's and they have had a hard time shaking the reputation. They've paid dearly for that mistake, and a lot of people don't want them to ever live it down.

Mike50

Oh, yeah, the barrel question!

A gunsmith can "easily" change the barrel, but it will set you back a bunch. At least $400, but usually more.

alan

Ultima:

As to the difference between Push Feed and Controlled Feed, take a look at ANY Mauser '98 rifle, look at the action, then look at the Winchester. The Mauser is Controlled Feed, Winchester is likely Push Feed, different extractor. Winchester is back making controlled feed rifles these days, left hand models too, according to their literature at least.

I shot National Match Course with post 64 Winchesters for years, push feed rifles, never had any problems with them. As to the barrel length you mentioned, 16", I would make sure it was legal length before buying it. I'm not certain, however if it is, it is just barely. With that short a barrel, velocities will most definately suffer, though that might not be a problem, depending on what sort of shooting you plan on doing.

Personally, I always liked the Winchester Model 70 Rifle, especially with what they used to call the Marksman Stock, furnished with their M70 Target Rifles. It seemed to fit me very nicely.