Looking at 1911s

Mastrogiacomo

Just swung by the shop today and couldn't take my eye off the Para Warthog (I think) which was the compact 45. It looked sweet but when the shop owner gave me the gun and explained the fit - I understood why it could only be used for pratice a short time. It dug into my hand - and I have small hands so it surprised me. Then I started looking at the S&W 1911 and I'm starting to wonder about the SW1911PD Pistol which is a medium size. I'm curious, would this make more sense in a .45 and how difficult would this gun be to clean. Do I need tools? I know nothing about taking care of these guns. Info appreciated.

gc70

Mastro,

It is more complex to field strip a 1911 than, for instance a Beretta 92 ;) , but it is as easy or even easier to detail strip one. Check this link for illustrated instructions (warning: lots of pictures).

I have seen a gentleman who knew what he was doing fully detail strip a 1911 in less than a minute and put it back together in less than two minutes.

Jim Watson

M.,

I think THINK all the SW1911PD variations, along with the SC guns, have scandium (aluminum) alloy receivers and weigh 29 oz and less. That is not much for a .45 to be shot a lot. I recommend the basic steel framed SW1911 at 38 oz. It is a little more involved to take down than a Beretta but any one competent to own a firearm in the first place can learn it.

flycaster

Laura- the 1911 is worth looking into. There's plenty of on-line help available, too. Don't worry about field stripping it. The Wilson Combat DVD is great to learn how to take it apart and put it back together.

As far as small hands are concerned: I was at an indoor range recently. A petite, 40-ish lady was shooting a Glock 19 with her 14 year old son. She had only a small amount of handgun shooting experience. When they pulled a full size 1911 out of their bag, she worried aloud that it might be too much gun for her. I suggested that the greater mass of the 1911 over the G19 would compensate nicely. After she put a full mag through it, she looked at me and smiled, saying she liked it better than the Glock. I suggested to her, and thus to you, that the single stack 1911 has a grip that is perfect for most women with smallish hands. unlike that lady, I know you have plenty of handgun experience, so the recoil issue isn't a factor here. I would say, "try it- you'll like it"! Oh- and a well-tuned 1911 is a seriously accurate handgun!

Chuck