Longslide 1911

Calif Hunter

I understand that AMT is out of business, but that a new company (Galena Arms?) is making some of their models still. I saw that they have the longslide version of the 1911, which always intrigued me for some reason. Is anyone familiar with the new company and the arms it is turning out? Thanks for any input!

Secmat

AMT type 1911s, in my experience, have suffered from looooong break-in periods and questionable reliability. If you want a longslide, go for the Springfield. An individual that I work with quite often has two of them. One is stock, and the other has had minor work; he loves those pistols!

------------------
"Those who dance are thought mad by those that don't hear the music."

MBG

I have an original AMT long slide. It runs fairly well, if I keep it lubed right. (Silicon instead of oil.) I bought it used, for a fairly good price, but if I were going new, I would probably get the Springfield. (I still might.)

I have seen two of the Galena versions, one in.45 and one in .40 cal. Both needed some reliability work (slide rails fitted, polishing, etc) before they would work reliably.

Just my experience.

Marty

Gunslinger

Another option would be to use one the long slide and barrels offered by www.brownells.com on a different brand 1911 and build your own.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Ron Ankeny

Nothing new about a longslide, had a Clark long heavy slide in about 30 years ago. Les Baer, STI, SV, etc., all make 6" guns and some of them are really cool.