Longshot4

Longshot4

I am looking for information on stock modification on a Ruger 22 Hornet. I get a few flyers and believe the stock may be able to be improved. The barrel rests on a high spot in the forearm. If it moves on that point at all I think that may be where the fliers come from. Looking for a stock guru... Or comment.

big al hunter

It sounds like you need to free float the barrel. It sounds like you know where the high spot is on the stock. Is this a wood stock or synthetic? You have to remove the material from the stock. You can use a wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it for small amounts of removal. A dremel tool will remove it a little faster and a chisel ( not recommended for anyone new to woodworking) will remove material quickly. After you remove the high spot, reassemble the rifle and check for float by folding a piece of paper a couple of times and run it between the barrel and stock. It should move freely all the way to the barrel/action connection. Shoot it, if you get good groups apply pressure to the stock while you shoot. If the pressure causes bad groups remove more material from the stock. Test again.