Long story...

SaxonPig

I bought this Series '70 Government Model 45 brand new in February of 1973. It cost $135. I was making $1.65 an hour at the time so that was a lot of money for me. Woolworths had guns and ammo in the basement. A big glass fishbowl was on the counter next to the register filled with loose 45 ACP ammo. All military surplus from various nations loaded with a 230 FMJ in Berdan primed cases. Priced at five cents per round I often traded my paycheck for ammo. The clerks never wanted to count the loose rounds so they scooped what they thought was the correct amount and I know I always got 10-15% more than I was due.

In 1975 I had a smith add the S&W K frame rear sight and a taller front blade. That same year I sprung $32.50 for ivory grips.

In 1976 I started reloading and the first pistol caliber I loaded was the 45 ACP. Between the cheap surplus ammo and my own loads I can't even begin to count the many thousands of rounds I have fired through this pistol. In all that shooting it never once failed to feed, fire or eject. In 44 years no less than 100% reliability.

This pistol was stolen in 1985. It was recovered a few weeks later when cops made a routine traffic stop and the driver turned out to be on probation for selling drugs. Car was searched and the 45 was under the seat. I got it back a few days later.

I carried this gun for years working nights in a convenience store and as a bouncer in a bar. We have "seen the elephant" a few times together. Too many stories.

In 2011 I had it engraved. I still shoot it once in awhile but I don't carry it any longer. It has earned its retirement. I guess it would be wasteful but I have considered telling my wife to bury this one with me.

standard.jpg

dgludwig

Good story but don't keep us hanging...

I guess it would be wasteful but I have considered telling my wife to bury this one with me.

In your case, cremation might be a little less wasteful.

rebs

Times and prices both have sure changed a lot. Thanks for the great story. I also have a colt gold cup series 70.

Walt Sherrill

If you spent $135 for a 1911 in 1973, inflation calculations show that you'd have to spend $785 today for the same gun. And the Colt price list for a new Colt Government Model (01991) is $799.

There are a number of plain-jane 1991s on GunBroker in that price range, a few used ones for less -- and a lot of fancier ones for two or three times that much.

vba

Saxon, I worked at a gas station from 1970 to 1973. My last year there I got a 5 cent per hour raise. That brought me up to exactly $1.65 per hour!

Nice gun and great story. Will say I was more interested in cars than guns back then.

dgludwig

If you spent $135 for a 1911 in 1973, inflation calculations show that you'd have to spend $785 today for the same gun.

On 12-29-74, I paid $205.07 (plus tax) for a brand new Colt MKIV Series Gold Cup pistol that I still have and compete with on occasional (and sadly, more and more less frequent basis due to my advancing age and failing eyesight) Bullseye matches. The pistol is still in excellent condition and I have no idea how much it's worth in "today's" money. But whatever it is, I'm sure I've got my money's worth. :)

Kreyzhorse

Wonderful story and a beatiful gun.

It might be a waste to bury that gun, but chances are, no one would cherish it like you do.

bamaranger

story

Enjoyed that account no end.

If I told a 1911 story, would I be sidetracking your thread? If so, I'll keep my trap shut.

ShootistPRS

I loved the story! the gun is definitely yours. I do want you to know that if you wrote your stories about the gun and its history there are people who would treasure it as much as you do. I have several guns that I got with a story behind them and a couple of scopes that also have stories. The stories and my involvement with the folks that wrote them make those item prized possessions to me. I keep the copies of the stories and have written a few stories of my own. I'm sure they will be someone's prized treasures when they get passed on.