long range optics ( falcon menace)

seansean1444

hey guys i am looking for a scope to set up my new mossberg mvp patrol to shoot medium/long range, around a max of 500 to 600 yards. i think ive decided on the 4x14 first focal plane mil/mil falcon menace from what i can find it seems like a good scope for around 350, any other options under the 400 dollar mark?

Sierra280

I got a konuspro m30 6.5-25x44 for $200 off armslist, tag on the box said $369.99. For what I paid I can't complain, but the mil dot reticle with 1/8MOA adjustment clicks gets annoying.

I think the Falcon Menace is usually considered an ify scope.
Sometimes good and sometimes not so good.

For around $400 you are staring to get into the price range of good name, good quality scopes. For just over $400 you can find a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42.
These have excellent reviews for glass. I've got one and it tracks perfectly, the Mildot reticle is reasonably fine, the glass is as good as my buddies Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50.

I believe there is some Vortex Vipers that will be scraping your price bracket.
These have great reviews by more or less everyone that own's one.

I picked up a Burris C4 3-9x40 for $205, they would be well worth looking into.
The 4.5-14x42AO can be had for about $250. Burris has a great reputation for good quality glass, the C4 is reasonably new, it might not be exactly what you were looking for, but the idea is to buy the best quality glass in your price bracket. I would certainly forfeit features for better quality glass.
You might think you need Illumination, big million MOA turrets with 1/8 clicks, zero stop and every other feature under the sun, but if glass quality is poor, then it's not much use to you. I'd go for something that's from a trusted brand, known for good quality glass (Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, Burris etc), have repeatable clicks and a decent enough reticle that will get your job done.

ndking1126

At $400, you can do better, IMO. I would make the same recommendation of Monarch or Vortex. I own a Burris FFII in 4.5-14 and would buy another one of those (about $300, I think) before I'd take a chance on a Falcon Menace.

I understand we all are on a budget, but I see it like this - rifle and scopes, just because they are attached, aren't the same item. So even if I want to sell a rifle, I'll keep my scope and put it on something else. Because of this, buying an expensive scope is a lifelong (more than likely) investment. I want the nicest I can afford, even if it hurts a little.

4runnerman

Take a look at Mueller scopes. I picked up a 8-32 x 44 for my 223 for plinking. It is so nice with clarity and tracking that I put it on my 308 for long range shooting. I am no fan of 44 mm for sure,but it is one nice scope.