Long range handgunnery

Shaun

Went to the outdoor rifle range to shoot the other day, and after blasting off some rounds (the most fun being the 1895 Winchester in .405 and the Remington 760), we decided to shoot pistols at long range. I guess it was Smith day since I had my 6.5" Model 29 loaded with 240grain SJHPs and my buddy had a 4" Model 58 and 6" Model 610. Using sandbags and a rest I was able to put 5 of 6 shots on a 18" x 18" target at 100 yards, no grouping per se, but all fell to the right of or below the bullseye. My buddy got most of the 10mm on paper, but none of the .41 magnums I'm assuming because of the 58's fixed sights and shorter bbl. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before on a serious level (not just for S&Gs like I was), that is 100+ yard open sight pistol from a benchrest. It was really fun and I would like to hear some other people's recommendations on loads for .44 magnum and 10mm or other calibers that they've tried. I'm not interested in mounting a scope but I was wondering if there are any tricks to shooting open sights at the longer ranges.

Ignatz

Bench resting pistols at 50 yards is the norm, but I've had good accuracy at 100 yards with a (.357), early 686 8 3/4" with a 2x leupold and a Dan Wesson 8"vent heavy with open sights. 3 to 4 inch groups were routine with those pistols. The Dan Wesson had interchangable front and rear sights for a tight sight picture. You really have to get settled in so you can repete each shot perfectly. Being able to call your shots helps too for the occasional flier. I allways used H-110 powder and sent that bullet down range as fast as I could. On a overcast day it looked like a fireball coming out of the gun!

TEDDY

Long Range Pistol

I'v shot a 1911 at 200 yds in silhouette shooting.great sport.also used a mod 10 38 spec at 100 yds.IMHS has regular shoots at 200 yrs/meters.

;) ;)

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
You have obviously never heard of long range pistol silhouette shooting...IHMSA or NRA. Steel cut-outs of chickens at 50 yards, pigs (javelina) at 100 yards, turkeys at 175 yards and desert bighorn sheep (rams) at 200 yards. The object isn't just to hit 'em, but to knock 'em down. Ram weighs about 50 lbs. Fun, not easy, but doable. Course of fire is 40 shots. Standing offhand or 'freestyle', production guns (magnums and up) a good score is 30/40 standing and 38/40 freestyle. Lots of info on these games on the 'net.

smokin54

I shoot competitively in silhouette (IHMSA) with scopes and iron sights out to 200 yards with a thompson contender . On my good days I can do 1 inch groups with my scoped 7 tcu and can do under 2 inches with a iron sighted 357 maximum at 100 yards, Thats not bad but I have a few freinds that out shoot me . We all shoot at least once a week . It takes alot of practice , a good load and the right sights

Last edited:

capbuster

This is probably common knowledge to most shooters. Assuming your handgun is sited for a shorter distance like 50 yards,extend your front sight above the rear sight notch and place your distant target over the front sight. Trial and error in regards to how much front sight you must use over the rear sight in order to be on target at longer distances will be required. This will give you a good sight picture for your long shots. If possible get yourself a copy of Elmer Keiths book Sixguns. He goes into deapth on the subject of long range handgun shooting.

Majic

Try 12" steel gongs at 300 yards with open sights and unsupported. Walk your rounds to the target by watching the dust clouds. It's a real blast. :D
Loads are dependant on the gun. Use what's most accurate in that particular gun.

samsmix

Using old Elmer's method, I recently proved to a friend that one could hit a refrigerator-sized boulder at some 450 yards with the lowly .38 special. Upon examining said boulder, it became clear that those simple 158gr LRN bullets could still do a human grave bodily harm at that distance, should one strike him.

There is no "S" on my chest. I missed a bit, too.

targetshootr

When our range closes the pistol pits we either have to go home or use the rifle range and it's just as much fun to shoot at 100 and 200 yrds as it is 50 and 75. Sitting unsupported it's not hard to keep shots on typing paper at 100 yds with the right gun, mine being a 4 5/8" 45 Ruger adjustible sight old model.

RocketFoot

I used to shoot pigs at 100 yards quite easy with my 8-1/2 Anaconda .44 mag, but it had a 1x red dot scope. I haven't tried it yet with my new Raging Bull, but I will soon! :D 6-1/2" barrel & Open sites this time!! Should make it more interesting...

Stainz

Inspired by Bob Munden's long range balloon poping with his .38 snubby, I took my then new 2" 10-11 to the range with me when I was working as a public range RO. I quickly determined what the 'drop' was for my homebrews, 158gr LRN + LSWC's, and 148gr LHBWC, for the 12"-16" steel plates at 100-110yd. The first had a slight velocity edge - and chrono-ed with a lower Standard Deviation, so it became my 'choice'. I could hit the plate 2-4 times out of six - on a good day.

Evaluating some electronic hearing protection one day, I heard two adjacent lane shooters complain about me - I could hit the 'test' plates at distance with my .38 snubby - standing - freehand - and they couldn't hit it with their benchrested/scoped deer rifles. A third guy chimed in "I bet he shoots more than a 20rd box of ammo a year, too!". Well, it was fun... although my shakey hands now seemingly limit that. No point to it - just fun.

I could make a 1.5" 5-shot group (dropping a flier... my rules!) at 50yd with my 7.5" .454 SRH and Hornady 240gr (2,000 fps) XTP's. They groupped less than 6" at 100yd - probably limited by the low power (2x28) Weaver scope - when shot off well-burnt leather bags of sand. It was outgroupped at 25yd with .45 Colt cowboy-ish loads by my 4" 625MG - probably the slow twist, for those Casulls, in the SRH. Fun plinking, although I am no long range silhouette type.

Stainz

targetshootr

That's the fun part, when the riflers notice you hitting those 100 yd targets. Wish I'd started shooting at a younger age when my eyes were better but Bob Munden is getting up there in age and he can still shoot quarters out of the air with his SAA and pop a balloon at 75 yds with a Bond derringer. Offhand of course.

obxned

I've done an awful lot of long range shooting with a .45, but my all time favorites are the .357 and the .44 mag. I have won a lot of money over the years from people who firmly believed a pistol is a short range weapon only.

samsmix

New Pollution,

It was actually a 6" GP-100 in .357, but using .38 ammo. I could do it with my 4" S&W M15-3, an actual .38, but alas this was not the gun I happened to be packin' that day.:(

....I do so love that ol' .38

ace1001

I usually muff the trigger pull onne out of six, but 5 would hit a car @ 1/4 mi. a torso at 120yds. and under 60 you would be in real trouble. Beyond 1/4 mile the accuracy of the round goes to pieces real fast. Any ideas why? .45LC Ace

I do alot of long range hand gun... though admittedly, mosty with scoped guns...

You have obviously never heard of long range pistol silhouette shooting...IHMSA or NRA. Steel cut-outs of chickens at 50 yards, pigs (javelina) at 100 yards, turkeys at 175 yards and desert bighorn sheep (rams) at 200 yards. The object isn't just to hit 'em, but to knock 'em down. Ram weighs about 50 lbs. Fun, not easy, but doable. Course of fire is 40 shots. Standing offhand or 'freestyle', production guns (magnums and up) a good score is 30/40 standing and 38/40 freestyle. Lots of info on these games on the 'net.

I have the ability to get a set of these or similar shapes made, but I have never been able to find a set for sale, or find the specifics enough to have a set made... things like base size, target size, thickness, weight, or even good pics have seemed to alude me...

I would love to have a set of steel targets for my 300 yard range... anyone have any specifics, or at least know where to buy a set ???

joshua

I love shooting my TC Contender and long barreled 44 magnums long range, if 100 yards is what you call long range. I've had rifle shooters saying, "You're not planning to shoot that at the 100 yard line?" My answer to them would be, if I can shoot it at 200 and 300 yards I'd do it. I never competed, but I've always wanted to test out my shooting skills in the hunting field. Too bad the deer or boar won't stay still like in silhouettas metallicas. Here is my favorite position when shooting in the great outdoors. After a while I get neck pain and cramps.

rimfirerevolvers1.jpg

creedu.jpg

Too bad I can't hold on to my TC Contender when shooting 45/70 one handed using the creedmore position.

josh

Cowart

I was wondering if there are any tricks to shooting open sights at the longer ranges.

Having the right sights helps. For example, on the 1911, you can get King-Tappan sights They have a line inscribed on the front sight blade to use as a reference point in aligning the sights for 100 yard shooting.