Long legged Austrian

Worc

I had a long legged Austrian follow me home today. Hard to believe I have a striker fired model made in Austria. It’s the Steyr L9-A1 of course.

This is only the second L9-A1 that I’ve held. It feels pretty much as the M-A1’s that I have shot before. I have only been able to fondle this gun by working the slide, dry firing, dropping/inserting magazines, and field stripping.

I took a few measurements and have a few initial thoughts. There are 3 loaded chamber indicators on this model. The first is the protruding peg at the back of the slide. The second is a nub on the extractor that sticks out when there is a round in the chamber. Lastly there is the “Window” cut out on the top of the back of the chamber. The trigger safety/blade also does not extend forward until the gun is cocked. It stays back once the trigger is pulled. It also does not pivot inside the trigger, but rather slides straight back into the trigger shoe. The trigger travel is very smooth and it breaks very clean. The rest is not as tactile as I would like. You can hear and feel it while dry firing, but not sure if I will when shooting.

The grip has a great feel with its shape and is on the thinner side. The texture on the grip provides a decent grip. Not as smooth as some and not as aggressive as others. I like the looks of the current Steyr lineup.

Here a few measurements. The trigger breaks at 4lbs and 14oz. Take up was 1lb and 7.5 oz and ¼”. Reset was only 3/16”. This was with my digital trigger scale and the gun is pretty dry from the factory. I expect it to be a little lighter once I clean it and relube. Comparison wise to my Walther PPQ M1, breaks at 5lbs and 1oz. Take up is 4lbs and 2.2oz and 3/8”. Reset is 1/8”

Here are some more comparison photo’s.

I’ll post a range report once I get out and shoot.

EvgeniBG

Congratulation for the great accuisition!
In another forum some guy called the striker-fired Steyrs "Glock gen10".
Superb ergonomics, low bore axis, excellent trigger, good quality of production. Probably the best modern design recently created. Maybe my other gun will be exactly L9.
P.S. Hope Steyr have definitely fixed the extraction issues of the earlier series.

Worc

EvgeniBG Wrote:In another forum some guy called the striker-fired Steyrs "Glock gen10".

That was me more than likely. Yes, the extraction issues have been cleared up for some time.

One thing I would have liked a little better is to have the magazine release a little higher. It's not bad though and paddles ala HK/Walther would be even better.

EvgeniBG

Yes, I also prefer the HK/Walther style of mag release. I even got used (in my USP) to press it with the midfinger of the shooting hand - unnatural for most but comfortable and natural for me - helps me to keep the target without changing the position of body and gun.

Worc

[
B]plouffedady Wrote:[/B] Love the L9-A1 also. Very under-rated. Here's my review of it for those looking to watch some Steyr gun ****
Yep, saw it. You did a nice job on on that review. The Steyr's are under rated for sure. Seems that they are gaining traction day by day. The excellent trigger qualities, comfortable ergonomics, and low muzzle flip are starting to get noticed

Not a ton of reviews on the L9-A1 yet as it's their latest model. I like the video where the guy just blasts off 750 rounds straight. You can tell that he gets tired towards the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZSv8L_4wQ

I see that hickok45 did a review on an older Steyr M9-A1.

Worc

I will post a range report with some pictures once I get there. I hope that I can get to the range this weekend and put at least a 100 rounds through it and some additional rounds through some of my other 9's for side by side comparisons sake.

JN01

I've handled Steyrs before and found them intriguing. Feel good in the hand, and though they aren't beautiful, they have a Blade Runner kind of cool look going.

I don't know anybody who has one nor have I shot one, so I never brought myself to put the money down on one though.

Looking forward to a range report.

joe-lumber

Steyr

My brother has a Steyr and he can knock the red out of a target at 7 yards and it's his favorite pistol. The triangle sights are great for him and for me. But the hitting in the face of the spent shell is the pits. I had one land inside my shirt collar and received a burnt neck. He discussed the shell problem at the NRA Shot Show with a rep and they sent a new extractor but it still drops the shells on my hat and shoulder. But if you can hit the target you have to dismiss the problem.
J

Last edited: