long barrel semi-auto 308 sniper?

i had a thread on here awhile ago about AR-10 style rifles, now i'm thinking there may be other options to fill my "need."

if you guys were looking for a sweet semi-auto sniper rifle chambered in 308, would you be looking at a sub $1500 AR style (armalite or rock river) or something else? whatever you choose should be capable of making multiple accurate shots in quick succession (i.e. low felt recoil, ergonomics, etc.).

my only restrictions are 20"+ barrel, 10+ round mags, and the ability to mount a scope and bipod.

disclaimer - this will be a just for fun weapon. i don't plan on dropping into combat any time soon, but it should be capable of doing just that.

Last edited:

sailskidrive

$1500 will get you a "designated marksman" grade AR 308 at best...

A heavy barrelled DPMS LR308 topped with a $399 10x Super Sniper would probably be enough to get you started. Quality, consistent ammunition should be your next step, so be prepare to spend the $$$ for it or start reloading.

sailskidrive

Sig 716 w/ 4x Vortexx

8b57d84a.jpg

sailskidrive

I whap steel plates at 400 yards without a problem with that SIG.

The Fulton Armory "Titan" is a good gun; they do a nice job on the build. CMMG makes an 18" AR308 for about $1350.

Rifleman 173

Try a Rock River Arms LAR-8. Put a bi-pod on it, scope it and use match grade ammo and you should be okay. The LAR-8 rifles also use the same magazine as the FN/FAL.

Jimro

A Remington R25 meets your requirements. Won't win any props from the tacticool crowd, but if you do your part it won't let you down. Just need to pick up some aftermarket mags and go shoot.

Jimro

LSnSC

DPMS LR-308 or Armalite AR-10 flattop with a free float forend and upgrade the trigger. Either will do what you are looking for and those two platforms are the easiest to find aftermarket parts for.

btmj

Among people who have actually shot an FNH FNAR, the praise has been pretty high. I have not actually shot one myself. But if I were interested in this kind of weapon, I would shoot the FNAR before I made a final decission.

FNH markets this weapon to police/LE agencies as a counter-sniper weapon.

longdude17

I second the RRA lar-8. I have the lar-8 standard operator with a redfield 4-12 scope with a harris bipod on the front and bennie cooley muzzle brake. With my custom handloads I can consistanly bust those clay pigeons at 450yds if I do my part as a shooter. The muzzle brake make the recoil less than that of a 5.56.

Fankly I think its an awesome entry level semi that has decent potential for long range. But to me this gun is just a toy, its far too heavy loaded to be packed around the field for any real distance.

Mobuck

I don't "do that kind of work anymore" so I don't need a "sniper" rifle.
A "long range" rifle works the same way w/o the human target relationship.

Jimro

I don't "do that kind of work anymore" so I don't need a "sniper" rifle.
A "long range" rifle works the same way w/o the human target relationship.

The whole concept behind "political correctness" is the idea that you can pick up a **** by the clean end. If someone wants a sniper rifle more power to them. Some rifles are just plain fun to shoot, and if I could afford a 50 caliber sniper rifle I would, cause I want want and it is fun.

Sniper isn't a dirty word, and neither is rifle. There are plenty of sniper competitions open to civilians (and yes, Law Enforcement Officers are civilians, if they think differently there is something wrong with them).

Jimro

RT

"sniper" implies shooting at humans. I would submit "precision" may be a more appropriate adjective.