Lone Wolf Barrels

David Bachelder

I bought a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for my Glock 23 (.40 S&W). Its supposed to be an exact replica. However my .40 reloads will not chamber in the LW barrel? They get stuck about half way down and will not seat properly. I tested this by attempting to drop a reload into the LW barrel while removed from the gun.

Has anyone had any dealings with Lone Wolf? I have not contacted them .. yet.

I bought the barrel so I could start shooting lead cast bullets.

My reloads chamber in my Glock factory barrel. No problem.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The Lone Wolf barrels have tighter tolerances than the stock Glock barrel. I had 2 LW barrels. Both had less chamber support but tighter chambers than the stock barrel.
I suspect that the barrel has identified an issue with your reloads that simply doesn't show up in the stock barrel.

BDS-THR

David Bachelder said:
My reloads chamber in my Glock factory barrel. No problem.
That's because factory Glock barrel's mouth and chamber is wider (see comparison picture below).

I bought a Lone Wolf replacement barrel for my Glock 23 (.40 S&W) ... I bought the barrel so I could start shooting lead cast bullets.
If you call Lone Wolf, they'll tell you their 40S&W chambers are cut for jacketed diameter bullet (.400"). When using larger sized .401" lead bullets, it will require more precise reloading practice (say no more than .421" taper crimp) to allow the reloaded rounds to freely drop into the chamber with a "plonk". If using .421" taper crimp won't allow your rounds to drop in freely into the LW chambers, you may need to have the chamber widened (If factory rounds chamber well in your barrel, Lone Wolf will charge you for this service). I used automotive wet/dry sandpaper to sand/polish the chamber in these threads:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8093783#post8093783

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7942633#post7942633

Brian Pfleuger said:
I had 2 LW barrels. Both had less chamber support but tighter chambers than the stock barrel.
At left is Gen3 G27 barrel showing incomplete case base support with widening of the chamber mouth. At right is Lone Wolf barrel showing full case base support with tighter chamber mouth that won't bulge the case even with factory+ loads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

tom234

LWD barrels are built top SAAMI specs and certainly NOT an exact replica a Glock barrel. That goes for the rifling as well.
Consequently, I'll bet your reloads are not SAAMI spec. Although the plunk test is fine I still recommend buying a cartridge gage to make sure your ammo is spec. I bought one..... and make sure my .40 S&W reloads less than .423".
I have 3 LWD barrels and ALL have MORE chamber support than OEM Glock barrels and they lock up tighter as well. Glock barrels are relatively loose compared to LWD barrels.

Last edited:

lee n. field

They get stuck about half way down and will not seat properly. I tested this by attempting to drop a reload into the LW barrel while removed from the gun.

Has anyone had any dealings with Lone Wolf? I have not contacted them .. yet.

Better idea: Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I use mine on my .40 handloads, to assure reliable feeding in my XD.

testuser

Sure, I had the same problem with a G20 in 10mm and a Lone Wolf barrel. I also had some issues with chambering into the factory barrel.

For me, it was the sizing dies in my Dillon Square Deal. Lee dies size further down the case than other brands and once I switch to Lee and got rid of the Dillon, the problem went away completely. That was two years ago and my 10mm brass has seen multiple loading since with no failures to feed.

Some people will add a factory crimp die, which uses a carbide ring to post size any rounds that still have a little bulge. If their sizing die isn't resizing all the way down, then the factory crimp die will size the last little bit.

The other solution is to use a push through die like a Redding GRX or Lee Bulge Buster. I haven't found that necessary. I do use the Bulge Buster (rarely), but only for eliminating burrs left by the extractor I sometimes get on my 10mm brass.

I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die, but use it only for crimping, not for post sizing any brass. All of that is taken care of in the sizing die. Now my brass feeds 100% in both 10mm and .40 S&W. The trick was using a die that properly sized the case correctly in the first place...

The Lone Wolf barrel was kind of a headache all around, the specifications are just too tight and I didn't want to go through the trouble of sending it back. (Once I solved the sizing problem I'd find that a too much fouling would keep the Lone Wolf barrel from chambering!!! Now that's tight.)

Since then I've gone back to the factory 10mm barrel and a .40 S&W KKM conversion for light loads (.40 S&W = 180 gr. @ 950 fps, 10mm = 180 gr @ 1,200 fps). the KKM has a larger chamber and feeds a lot better than my Lone Wolf, but only has a bit more chamber support than factory.

I'm not having any problems with brass life in either .40 S&W or 10mm. I just load low to mid range loads, which is a little easier on the brass.

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
BDS-THR,

Here are my barrels:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The stock barrel is harder to photograph clearly but it is as it appears, considerably less support near at the feed ramp than the stock barrel. Still plenty, but clearly less. The stock barrel is essentially 100% supported.

Sarge

The chambers of aftermarket barrels run considerably tighter than the 0.432+ usually found in Glock .40 caliber barrels. Internet reviews of LWD's chambers indicate that some users have found them too tight for best reliability with reloads; right about 0.425”.

This led me to request that LWD open my chamber mouth a couple of thousandths, as I have done when ordering 1911 barrels from Bar-Sto, etc.

A detailed review of a Lone Wolf G23 Barrel is here. I found some good and bad.

dcobler

Ive been thinking of picking up a lone wolf barrel for my 21 but havent done so yet. When I do, I will adjust my reloads accordingly.

BDS-THR

David Bachelder said:
Worked like a charm.
Great! I love happy endings. :D

Brian Pfleuger, yours is a .357 Sig barrel. The OP's barrel in question is 40S&W barrel. I have noticed that depending on caliber, factory Glock and Lone Wolf barrels vary in chamber support. Perhaps it is different for .357 Sig.

With 9mm, my LW barrels have comparable case base support and chamber tightness with factory Glock barrels; but with 40S&W, LW barrels have fully supported chambers that are much tighter than Gen2/Gen3 factory Glock barrels (as clearly indicated by pictures in post #3).

Sarge

For anyone who didn't read the link in Post 8- when you order a barrel from Lone Wolf, make up about 5 dummies (no primer or powder) send them to LWD. They will ream your chamber to accept those loads, before it ships from the factory. This is an excellent service and apparently, one that more people should avail themselves of.

BDS-THR

Sarge, very good point and very good review.

Unfortunately for the OP, the barrel was already purchased.

judgecrater

LWD barrels are built top SAAMI specs and certainly NOT an exact replica a Glock barrel. That goes for the rifling as well.
Consequently, I'll bet your reloads are not SAAMI spec. Although the plunk test is fine I still recommend buying a cartridge gage to make sure your ammo is spec. I have 3 LWD barrels and ALL have MORE chamber support than OEM Glock barrels and they lock up tighter as well. Glock barrels are relatively loose compared to LWD barrels.

Exactly. Both of my LWD barrels chamber properly dimensioned reloads. People typically blame the barrel rather than correcting the problems with their reloads, have better chamber support, are accurate and reliable.

WESHOOT2

know what I mean?

Did you say you bought a KKM barrel? From KKM?
I thought I heard you say you bought a Jarvis barrel and had him hard-fit it.
Did I hear you say you bought a KKM or Jarvis barrel for your Glock?

I thought that's what I heard.....;)

McDAccountant

I don't have any issues with my reloads using jacketed or plated bullets...lead bullets, however, are a different story. Not sure what is happening but only about 1 in 3 reloads with lead bullets chamber in my LW barrel. Additionally, all of my lead reloads will chamber in the Glock barrel, as well as in my Beretta barrel and my Sig barrel.

fields

I check mine in the aftermarket barrel and separate them into two different ammo boxes. One for each barrel.
I do now size them as far as I can possibly go down the case.
I also ground the shell holder down to allow the die to be able to go a little further on the case. This has just about stopped any problems i had. The Lee dies may solve all of our problems, and I will try that later when the panic buying is over.

McDAccountant

Update on lead loads and Lone Wolf barrel...

Bought a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die...no more issues with rounds chambering in the Lone Wolf barrel. Accuracy isn't too bad either.

TennJed

Better idea: Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I use mine on my .40 handloads, to assure reliable feeding in my XD.

Good call. I have had zero issues with my LW barrel on my 19. I use the lee factory crimp die. Tack driving accurate and as reliable as a mule. I shoot nothing but lead cast