Lone Ranger rides off into the sunset

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Clayton Moore died in a West Hills, CA hospital. He was 85 yrs.

Yaya con Dios

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Jeff Thomas

This man gave me many hours of entertainment when I was a kid, and I do wish him and his family well. He provided entertainment within the context of good triumphing over evil. Sometimes seen as a naive cliche today, it was better than a lot of the c**p our entertainment industry provides now.

Clayton, thanks for the memories - may you rest in peace.

C

CHEMNCO917

no nicer, more honourable man has ever worn that mask......His character meant a lot to me in my youth and only Bill Boyd could equal him for the honesty they portrayed on that screen..... Boyd never made it to the TV but his characters image still lingers foundly in my mind as does Clayton Moores' BTW is Jay Silverheals still alive????......does anyone know??

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
"this mask is on the side of the law"

even though i thought the show was kinda corny.. Clayton Moore shall be missed.

good night my friend,

Dr.Rob

loknload

Sitting high in the saddle,Placing my dusty hat over my heart, Happy Trails to you Kemo Sabe May you ride into the sunset forever.

A tribute to another great loss to humanity.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

Grayfox

"HI-YO Silver!" Those words are a permanent part of my life. May he find his way to cowboy heaven.

Jay Silverheels passed away in 1979.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited December 28, 1999).]

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
“The Lone Ranger rides again.”

For years and years that simple line thrilled me. I learned more about
loyalty and integrity from Clayton Moore than from any other public person.

I sincerely regret my children were raised in an era of “It’s all relative”. It
isn’t. Truth, Honor, Justice, Loyalty and other integrity-based concepts are
sorely lacking in most of today’s sad offerings in the theaters, on TV, and
especially in our government.

Our heroes and our integrity as a nation are slipping away to join our Rights
on the ash heap of Political Correctness.

It’s a sad day, America.

dinosaur

Trivia question. Clayton Moore was a contract player for Republic pictures back in the 40`s. What character did he play in the serial "The Crimson Ghost"?

G-Freeman

Found this statement from Mr. Moore in an old interview: " Well, first of all, there's too much violence today. We didn't have a tremendous amount of violence
on our shows. Sure we did have the law of the gun and we did have physical combat, fights, but
there wasn't the blood and guts as they call it today. I don't like violence, I don't think we have to have
it. This is one of the reasons why I believe the western has sort of taken a back seat. However, it
runs in cycles and I think you're going to find out that westerns will be coming back. It's Americana,
it's part of our history, the cowboy, the cattle drive, the sheriff, the fight for law, order and justice.
Justice will always prevail as far as I'm concerned." Jay Silverheels was a Mohawk Indian. His character Tonto was a Potawatomie. (I live in the Potawatomie Nation )Kemo sabe roughly translates to 'faithful friend', reminiscent of semper fidelis. Trigger died in 77 at the age of 29. May they all run free.

G-Freeman

Dennis, though I am slightly embarrassed, (I have always loved Roy's palomino), I appreciate your gentle correction. Silver it was. For make up work, Tonto's horse was named Scout, like the Col.'s rifle concept :).

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Well, from what I recall, all three were pretty fine horses.

I've read that Jay Silverheels was a college-educated fellow. Quite bright! And his lines were barely above the "ugh" level. As a kid, I marvelled at how deep his voice was. Sort of the James Earl Jones of his day. :)

Hmm. As kids, we had the Lone Ranger.
Today's kids have "Die Hard" comedy killings.
Upon reflection, I'm glad I wasn't born any later than I was....

pluspinc

I met Clayton when he sold real estate in the 60's here in Mpls, MN. Few knew he walked into a store and found the owner tied up and robbed. Clayton ran next door to a drug store and told them to call for help and returned to the store to free the merchant and told him he had been "saved by the loan ranger."
He didn't worry about his own safety.
Clayton hung around The Stagecoach gun shop and saloon near Mpls. The owner "Ozzie" and Clayton soon had a business deal. Ozzie would order a set of colt nickel six shooters and identicle holsters to those worn in the TV series. Clayton was sold the guns and signed an autographed picture of him on Silver and and certificate that the guns had belonged to Clayton Moore (the long ranger) and marketed through the bar. If you come across a set of these guns they aren't the exact ones used in the TV series. Clayton always stopped for autographs and made many personal appearances and often didnt charge. He believe in his image and never let it get tarnished.
He was one of a kind.

"Who was that masked man?"

We've lost Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and now Clayton Moore. Honor the memory of these men by living as they taught us on the silver screen.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

jeffelkins

"Boyd never made it to the TV but his characters image still lingers foundly in my mind "

Hopalong Cassidy did have a TV show in the 50's...

I meet Mr.Moore at a shopping center opening in 1980...what a hoot! (Adam West, Batman was also present). Unfortunately, he (CM) was forced to give up the mask and was wearing wraparound sunglasses due to a lawsuit by some sleezy Hollywood producer.

I read in the obit, that later the mask was restored after the 1979 Lone Ranger movie tanked...good!!

Jeff