Loctite

Mike38

What is the most “kick butt” Loctite available? It doesn’t have to be Loctite brand, any thing similar from another company would be fine.

Now I want something that will require machining to remove. I want permanent. I want the two pieces to remain together when found 1000 years from now. Something that will survive an all out thermal nuclear war.

High shock and 200 deg F + temps.

Is there anything out there?

(Yes, it’s for a firearm.)

I would not use Loc Tite.... I would

use J.B. weld. It is about $5 at Home Depot. Some places have a knock off version for as low as $2 but if $3 is not a big deal, use the name brand JB Weld. It is good for filling a car engine block hole and you can even tap it for new threads. Good to huge temps and the best way to go. This stuff can be permanent so don't get it on something that needs to look good. Use a small amount for your application and you will be happy.

Some welding supply dealers sell liquid metal etc. Big bucks but an alternative. JB should do it for you. Just don't plan on taking it apart again!

mes228

LockTite

LockTite "red" is a real bear in my experience. Without a LOT of heat to remove. A part put in place with red may as well be welded in place. I really think pistol sights (ie Springfield Custom Shop uses the stuff) the pistol would have to be destroyed before the sights would move out of alignment. Great stuff if the sights are "perfect" for you. A very hard job if you wish to re-zero the rear for your eyes.

All the permanent types, like 271 have about 10 times the holding torque. Require over 250° to release, IIRC. Fastenal sells the industrial types and can likely give you a catalog sheet of application info.

alloy

Green 648 press fit retaining compound is some wicked stuff. It's also fairly expensive, since it's usually in the larger bottles.
Not green 290 which is a wicking compound.
I use a lot of red 276 at work but you should use quality grade 8 fasteners or you will have to heat it for disassembly. Holds on my M1a scope mounts pretty good, where blue repeatedly shot loose.:)

highvel

Somewhere back thirty years or so, my Super 14 .44 mag was shooting the scope base loose regularly and was really aggravating. I used a small amount of epoxy under the base and never had any problem since.

If I had it to do over again, I'd look at the Loc Tite offerings, they make really good stuff that works!

Jerry45

As stated Loc Tite green is a bare. J.B. Well is pretty wicked, can be machined after hardening and it can also be molded after setting up for a little while.

Mike38

Originally, I used the red LocTite that is for holding engine valve guides in place. It lasted around 3 years and 2000 rounds. This time I used JB Weld, simply because I had some. I didn’t give JB Weld a thought until now. Hope it works. It's now drying.

Thanks for the replies.

g.willikers

Some of these chemical fasteners will dissolve in gun cleaning solvent.
Then they can rebond where they ain't wanted.
So, before using one, test it with the solvent you are using.