Locks

Sixesonduty

I hate locks on Smiths. The only S&W with the lock that I would even think about buying is a .500. How bout you?

Last edited:

shootniron

I have no problem with the locks. I have j-frames with thousands through them and no problems. Y'all just keep up the bad talk about the locks, it just makes them cheaper for those of us with no qualms about owning them.

zachkuby87

I don't own any s&w revolvers yet but from some of the little research I've done I've seen tons of guys say get the pre-lock models or ppl that want more money because they have a pre-lock model. I have never paid it any attention because I'm not super picky. Maybe one of you guys can explain exactly what this lock is and what are its benifits? What's it for?

Kreyzhorse

I don't like locks on any guns however, it didn't stop me from buying my S&W Airweight or my Springfield TRP.

Maybe one of you guys can explain exactly what this lock is and what are its benifits?

It's a "safety" device that uses a key to "lock" the action of the gun to prevent accidental firing.

.22lr

The lock is a feature of current Smith and Wesson revolvers.

I have 2 revolvers (.22lr & .44Mag) with the locks, and have had no issues to date.

There is a reported issue of the locks self engaging on lightweight guns.

Despite internet howling, my internal locks have not yet murdered me in my sleep.

Its a feature of S&W revolvers, if it is a feature that you don't want, buy another brand of revolver.

Hope this was helpful,

~Matt

CajunBass

I don't have any with the locks, but then they didn't put locks on the guns they made back in the day. Since the only ones I'm interested in have two digit Model numbers, they're not a consideration.

IF I wanted a "new" Smith & Wesson, the lock wouldn't stop me from getting it.

Frasier

I don't care for the locks either, however, I got a heck of a good deal on a slightly used S&W Model 22 Classic of 1917. I just don't use the goofy lock on it or my Ruger LCR. While I would have prefered them with out the lock, it did not keep me from buying them.
My favorite is my pre-lock S&W Model 10-8, most acurate gun I have.

Daryl

I couldn't care less about the locks. Sure, I'll take one without it, but it having a lock doesn't bother me.

My "always/everywhere" gun is a S&W 637-2 with an ILS. I've never activated the lock, and it's never caused me any issues. I've carried it for some 9 years, and put several thousand rounds through it.

It's definitely something that doesn't add to the beauty of the gun, but this is a working gun that's carried all the time, and shot often. It's no showpiece, anyway you look at it.

Daryl

10Ringmagic

I have heard many complaining about the lock engaging on its own under recoil in light revolvers. I must also add my name to the list of those that thinks it looks ugly, and is useless.

I wanted a lightweight .44 Mag to replace my S&W 629 Classic for carrying while deer hunting. The S&W 329PD fills that role very well. I have only put about 300 rounds through it since getting it last springtime, but the lock has caused no problems for me so far.

If I had a revolver for HD, or CCW, I would want one without the lock (like my pre-lock 638), or else completely remove the lock from it. Seeing as how my 329PD is strictly a hunting sidearm, its lock does not bother me.

Grinchman

I own numerous smiths with and without locks. It don't make a hill of beans to me.I try to shoot something every weekend, weather permitting. So, I grab whatever gun that meets my fancy that day,and I don't even know the locks on there.

buck460XVR

Most people on the Internet hate the lock's.

From my experience on gun forums it's really a minority of folks that have an issue with the locks. It's just these few folks make it their personal crusade to make sure everyone else in the world knows of their distaste for them. They generally have little or no experience with the locks, but just repeat what other Negative Nellies have to say. Many times they use generic one sentence posts to try and prove their point instead of an intelligent post with facts and actual knowledge. Just sayin'.

RsqVet

I will not own one. Useless added complexity and failure points.

Maybe someday when I have all the guns I currently want and extra money I will get a 628 and delock it... That is about the only smith I could not find pre lock.

Don't own any series 80 1911s either.

Others are free to do as they wish. The premiums gotten for pre lock guns suggests that there is a healthy number of folks who do not want the lock.

8shot357

buck460XVR

Many times they use generic one sentence posts to try and prove their point instead of an intelligent post with facts and actual knowledge. Just sayin'.

Just sayin'.

Yep.:D

I read it on the Internet, there for it's true. I couldn't help my self.:confused:

I put my life on 638 with the lock everyday, unlocked of course.

GM2

I have one with the lock a S&W 686 Plus 357 Mag. 6" Have put lots of rounds through it without any problems.