Locked Antlers

Gbro

Was at our anual Home, Sport, and Travel show this weekend. One of the favorite booths offer free antler measuring and This mount was brought in for scoring. One rack was 127 NT and the other was 138 NT. the mount cost $2300.00 and was taken 2 years ago. The owner and 2 others tried to separate them but couldn't. 1 was dead when he came upon them. He claim's they didn't stink.

Attachments

• 04-04-09_1154.jpg
    04-04-09_1154.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 04-04-09_1155.jpg
    04-04-09_1155.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 04-04-09_1157.jpg
    04-04-09_1157.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 122

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Pretty cool! I would have just let the ants eat the flesh and tissue for a unique euro type mount. Now which one goes on the wall and which one hangs out for yer buddies to bonk their head on?:D
Brent

troy_mclure

my dad shot a whitetail a few years ago that had 1 antler tangled in it. it was a small "basket" 6 point, and had a pretty good sized "fork" in it.

he cuts the antlers from the skull to make chandeliers and stuff, so it never got mounted.

Kreyzhorse

Very cool mount. Hard to believe the story but I've got no reason to doubt it. Just one of those things that happens in the wild. Great mount.

Gbro

Hard to believe the story but I've got no reason to doubt it.
Just out of curiosity, what part is hard to believe?
For me it was the part about them not stinking, that is why I added that bit. I just can't imagine them not stinking.
The owner/hunter was there to tell the story;)
My father-in-law told a story about just this sort of thing (another member of the party)and the part that stuck out the most for him was the strong odor. He said they were to strong to use and they pried the racks apart in the woods.(both bucks were alive when found). He said that if it was him that ever was to come across deer locked together that he would try and release them by shooting an antler on one, although the bucks might be to stressed to survive, but he thought he would at least try that instead of just killing them.

Last edited:

rantingredneck

There's a program that's been on Discovery or National Geographic or one of those channels recently where a wildlife photographer catches on tape two deer going at it and they get locked up pretty good. They eventually untangle and one runs off, but the other is left with his foreleg up over his antlers and spinning in circles trying to dislodge it. He finally gets his leg backed off of his antlers and limps around a bit.

Another I saw recently had two bull elks going at it in a public park with swingsets. One of the bulls got his antlers caught in the chains of a swing and the other (smaller) bull proceeded to take advantage of him and kick the crap out of him.

Amazing that more of these situations don't happen........

12GaugeShuggoth

For me it was the part about them not stinking,

Given the right conditions, a deer carcass can be out in the elements for weeks on end (and longer) and have no odor or visible deterioration. I'm not talking about locked in the frozen tundra conditions, just cold enough to keep things from breaking down.

Gbro

I didn't clarify the stink I was referring to. I wasn't referring to the smell of purification (rotting flesh) but rather the repugnant odor of stress that I have smelled before on buck's heavy in the rut. Sometimes the old Finn's would refer to these as a Pi$$ Buck! They stink of urine and perspiration.
Take a car killed deer that has only been down for a couple of hours in cool weather. They stink, you will need to wear gloves to drag one off the road. Sure the are all busted up inside, but the smell is just the same as a Pi$$ buck! My nephew shot a stinker some years back. It made scrapes over 8' in diameter. We were all hunting for this active buck. He shot a Gigilo fork horn and that deer stunk just as bad as a car kill. He didn't like my suggestion of burying it where it lay, and we got to smell that stinking thing for 2 days until he took it home.
I knew exactly what my father-in-law was talking about with the stink of overstressed deer body's.
Here are some links to other locked Antler bucks.

Link 1
This story refers to the same way the owner of the display in my thread was done.

Link 2
About 3/4 of the way down the blog page is a story about how ethical it is to shoot locked antler deer. I will leave that to the shooter/hunter and what is legal.

Link 3
This is a story about the rescue of the living deer. I would not elect to do it this way:eek:

I didn't find the story I was looking for that was in the local paper several years back about a large buck see running with another head locked in his rack. Apparently the buck was able to paw the head off the other and seemed to be doing ok with his prize. I believe it was in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Finding two nice deer like that, locked together and recently expired. Just seems a little hard to believe.

With that said however, that doesn't mean that isn't exactly how he found them and exactly how it happened. I'm just saying that hunters have been known to never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :)

12GaugeShuggoth

Gbro, ahh, I misunderstood earlier. Yeah those heavy rut bucks can stink to high heaven! I was hunting with my father once and he got off a shot on a nice 8 pt. that crossed in front of us. Good shot, but the deer ran quite a ways regardless in to a swamp. I don't kid, we trailed that buck by his scent. Had to have been the smelliest deer I've personally run across. Looks nice on the wall though. :)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Does can stink to high heaven...
Made the mistake of getting one that was carhit by a buddy. Hauled it off for him in the jeep cherokee... made it a couple miles gaggin' with the windows down. Finally dumped her on the side of the road...
Brent