Lock-N-Load AP?

Xfire68

It looks like my wonderful brother is going to buy me a new press as he wants me to load up his .223 rounds and he does not want to take up all of my extra time just loading his loads.

I am looking at the Lock-N-Load® AP™ as it has always been on my short list anyway. I want to know from those that already have one is there anything that I need to buy aside from dies of the calibers I don't already have?

dmazur

Well, it is a pretty simplistic answer, but you do need shell plates for each caliber as well.

(Keeping in mind that a shell plate can work for several calibers...Checking Hornady's catalog, their #1 shell plate covers .30-06, .243, .270, .308 and a bunch more as an example.)

Last edited:

Xfire68

Ok that is what I was wondering about. I read that some of the kits no longer included Shell plates. I will be loading .223 and a number of handgun calibers so I will have to look into which ones I will need. Thanks dmazur!

cryogenic419

You'll need the press, shellplate, sizing die, seating die, crimping die, powder check/lockout die (optional), powder scale, loading data, and components. Press comes with powder measure and 5 of the locking bushings.

That should give you everything you need to get cranking out the rounds.

LOUD

I have the Hornady LnL AP and really love it . To load 223 you will need #16 shell plate and the dies of course, I also load 40S&W and thats the #10 shell plate, these you can get at Midway America. I think if you start off slow and get the hang of it you will love it also , Just remeber that it reprimes on the down stroke and you will be fine .LOUD

Xfire68

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to let you all know I do have a press and currently load 9 mm, .380 and .40. I just wanted to be sure that I did not miss anything when buying the L N L AP as it is a new setup. I have scales, dies, Books, Tools, and a tumbler. I looked at Dillon and Hornday and they are both great but, I think I am getting more for the price with Hornady?

I looked at Dillon and Hornday and they are both great but, I think I am getting more for the price with Hornady?

Swap the to companies' names around and you'll receive a very subjective "Yes" either way. You won't be disappointed with either purchase, but I lean towards Hornady's AP.

BE SURE you buy the correct shellplates. Hornady has the new EZJect out now. The shellplates aren't interchangeable, per se.

Xfire68

Tuttle8, so your saying that the newer AP presses with the EZJect use different shell plates then the older presses that do not have EZJect? Thanks for the heads up.