Local WalMart: No guns, no ammo

Young.Gun.612

Had the itch to get some ammo the other day for cheaper than what the range sells it for. So of course, Wally world comes to mind...

Fast forward to me wandering aimlessly around this behemoth of a structure. Looking for the sporting goods section, I asked for directions. After perusing the TWO AISLES (yes, only two aisles of Sporting Goods in a GIANT Super Wal Mart), and I found nothing. So I asked the nearest employee, and was informed that they don't carry guns or ammo.

Before this one was remodeled and made into the superstore, or whatever, they carried hunting shotguns, rifles, and ammo for all kinds of firearms. Now, nothing.

So I'm wondering: is this a local thing (Minneapolis being a bastion of uppity liberalism), or is it corporate (since it's no longer a plain ol' Walmart, and is now a sprawling superstore). Anyone else have to deal with this?

P.S., ended up buying 100 rds of Wolf 180 gr. FMJ for $35 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Haven't had any cycling issues with the Sigma yet, I wonder if this cheap crap will bring out the worst in a so far stellar weapon.

smoakingun

wal mart announced a few years ago that they would discontinue guns and ammo sales in some markets. according to them, it isn't political, just some locations don't sell enough of it to make it worth carrying

BarryLee

Yes, I have noticed this in the suburban Atlanta market. I was in one just last week looking for cleaning supplies, but no luck. They did not have anything at all related to firearms that I could find.

oneounceload

So I'm wondering: is this a local thing (Minneapolis being a bastion of uppity liberalism), or is it corporate (since it's no longer a plain ol' Walmart, and is now a sprawling superstore). Anyone else have to deal with this?

The high-lighted part along with being in a major city that is also that way might have more to do with that. All 3 where I live sell guns and ammo, and one carries a pretty decent selection of reloading supplies including presses, powder, etc......

hoytinak

1 outta 4 WalMart's here (Amarillo, TX) still sell long guns and 2 outta the 4 are in the process of quiting selling ammo. They are selling what they have in stock now but will not be ordering any more after it's gone.

22-rimfire

Walmart knows from experience that people will drive to a store that sells guns if they are looking for a gun they carry. Hence, they have quit selling guns in many stores but still maintain a store or two that sell guns in a given market. In my area, I can think of three walmarts within 30 miles that still sell guns out of about 15 stores or so. Step out some distance and there are more stores selling guns and more something like 35 stores within 50 miles of me.

jgcoastie

The Wal-Mart here still sells guns and ammo... But the general attitude toward these types of things is a bit different here than most places in the country.

hooligan1

It's the same here. One sells some ammo, the other sells rifles shotguns and ammo. The last time I was at the store that carried rifle I saw the new Savage Edge, they had it in .308 I believe.:)

LakeCruiser

I experienced sort of the same thing. We have 3 Wally-worlds within about 30 miles and a salesman in one of the sporting goods dept. (of a store now not selling guns) told me that with 3 stores so close together the upper mngmt decided that only one of them would have a "full" shooting inventory. The other two have just a few shooting items...cleaning kits, a little ammo, clay targets and such...

dabigguns357

It's all about the sales.

If a store sits on to many rifles/shotguns eventually they will stop selling them.There is a store about 2 hours north of us that had the same problem.It's a very rural place and the walmart is the only real store within miles.They went from having 3 revolving cases to having 2 cases and now they are down to one.It's a poor to middle class town and people just can't go out and buy hi end rifles and shotguns.Now the ammo on the other hand flies off the shelf with out remorse,everyone from granny to grandson hunts.

I work for walmart and all 4 stores here sell both ammo and long guns.Infact the one i work for has 2 whole isles devoted to hunting of all kinds,and that includes ammo/reloading.

n7qvu

I live in NE AZ with only one Super Center in the area. It was just re-modeled and still has guns & ammo.

4runnerman

Im from MHD,MN and Walmarts here carry black powder guns and all kinds of ammo,but no pistols or rifles either. I do remember when they did though. I think to many sporting good stores kind of stole the bussiness from them.Usually what they had was not high quaality fire arms any how. But you can't beat them for ammo prices.

Young.Gun.612

But you can't beat them for ammo prices.

Exactly! I wouldn't buy a gun there, but I would like to be able to get some cheap ammo.

Same goes for motor oil. Walmart can't really be beat for prices.

Don't like their business model, but sometimes my wallet makes my decisions.

shortwave

Shop at Meijers, Walmarts favorite competitor. They sell ammo.

Kinda glad our local Wally-World cut back on their ammo as I had never even been in a Meijer till they did.

Guess where we do most all our shopping now. Meijers!

Gunplummer

A couple years back a very nasty woman, Rosie O'Donnel I think, was a spokesperson for WalMart. If it was her, she was one anti-gun nut at the time.
I am not a fan of hunting shows but do watch them to see the deer sometimes. WalMart used to sponsor a lot of those shows and now I don't see that anymore. Maybe I don't see enough of those shows, but I think WalMart does not sponsor outdoor shows anymore. Either way, I try to stay away from WalMart.

SigP6Carry

I believe there are Meijers in MN, I'm not entirely sure, but I think so. They do carry ammo, not as much as a rural and certain suburban wal-marts. They're a good go to for sporting ammo, and that's about it. Depending on the ammo, Miejer is sometimes cheaper (I got WWB for 9.99 a box a few months ago for 9mm) but they NEVER have the PDX 9mm instock (which sells for $17.99 a box, at regular price). I haven't been to a single Miejer (even in Bolingbrook and Aurora, Il, which are considered "gang areas" by many of the lesser concerned) that doesn't have ammo.

Kreyzhorse

According to a store manager at my local Wal-mart stores that sell a lot of guns and ammo will continue to do so. Stores that don't sell much, won't.