Loads for a Ruger No 1 in .280 Rem.

Chaparral

Recently purchased an older Ruger No 1 in .280. Just wondering if anyone had any good loads already made up for .280. Thanks

std7mag

Chaparrel,

I won't post specific loads on an open forum.
You shouldn't trust loads posted on an open forum.
My rifle, even if same make/model, and your rifle are different.

What are you wanting to accomplish with your rifle?
Deer at 200 yards? Elk at 600 yards?

As it is, i'm currently doing load workups for my Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem.
I just got done loading some 150gr. Nosler AccuBond Long Range over RL26.
I've already done 139gr SST and 140gr Berger VLD & Ballistic Tip over RL17.

The 150gr ELDX over RL19 did well.

Chaparral

Chaparrel,

I won't post specific loads on an open forum.
You shouldn't trust loads posted on an open forum.
My rifle, even if same make/model, and your rifle are different.

What are you wanting to accomplish with your rifle?
Deer at 200 yards? Elk at 600 yards?

As it is, i'm currently doing load workups for my Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem.
I just got done loading some 150gr. Nosler AccuBond Long Range over RL26.
I've already done 139gr SST and 140gr Berger VLD & Ballistic Tip over RL17.

The 150gr ELDX over RL19 did well.
Hey no problem! I understand. I would never just go and load a round based on a strangers word. I always compare it to published loads and make sure it is in the ball park of acceptable loads. And I always start small and work up on any load. I appreciate what you gave me. I'll try the 150 gr ELDX with RL19 first. Thanks!

std7mag

Not a problem.
Butttttttt....

You never said what your goals with it are.
Western hunting elk with 400+ yard shots?
Eastern deep woods hunting deer at 50 yards?
Huge difference for bullet/ load selection.

RC20

I will publish loads, but I do so with the warning.

As long as you cross check the loads you are good and yo8u should ALWAYS cross check loads, ever listed ones are a good idea.

I have found some that are in huge disagreement and going with the lower one keeps you out of that kind of over pressure trouble.

T. O'Heir

You have to work up the load for your specific rifle. What is accurate out of my rifle, regardless of chambering, won't necessarily be so in yours. Any regular loading manual .280 Rem loads will do nicely.
Typical 150 grain loads at 2890 FPS MV, sighted in 1.8" high at 100 yards, will be on target at 200, drop 8" at 300, then like a brick to about 23" low at 400 with more than enough remaining energy. So it's more about your range estimating skills.
The typical white tail runs about 18" top to bottom, so what your hunting matters. The rifle and cartridge are entirely capable of a 400 yard shot if you are. And assuming that's what you want/need.

Chaparral

Not a problem.
Butttttttt....

You never said what your goals with it are.
Western hunting elk with 400+ yard shots?
Eastern deep woods hunting deer at 50 yards?
Huge difference for bullet/ load selection.
I live here on the rolling plains of Texas. With that said I will be shooting whitetail, coyotes, & wild hogs. I generally shoot 0-300 yds. I don't like shooting past 300 and risk hurting an animal but not killing it.

Chaparral

You have to work up the load for your specific rifle. What is accurate out of my rifle, regardless of chambering, won't necessarily be so in yours. Any regular loading manual .280 Rem loads will do nicely.
Typical 150 grain loads at 2890 FPS MV, sighted in 1.8" high at 100 yards, will be on target at 200, drop 8" at 300, then like a brick to about 23" low at 400 with more than enough remaining energy. So it's more about your range estimating skills.
The typical white tail runs about 18" top to bottom, so what your hunting matters. The rifle and cartridge are entirely capable of a 400 yard shot if you are. And assuming that's what you want/need.
Great information. Very helpful. Thanks

std7mag

Inside 300 yards, i'd probably use 140gr Ballistic Tip.
Will do a good number on a deer or a coyote or hog.