Loads for 10mm

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I'm going to load some 150-grain Nosler HP for my Delta Elite. New Starline brass. Haven't loaded jacketed bullets in the 10, before; just lead "plinkers".

Browsing the Accurate book, they recommend their #7. They say this powder is similar to HS-7, Blue Dot and 630.

Has anybody loaded with either the #7 or HS7? I have these on hand...

(Other books' loading data shows lower velocities for max loads of 231, Unique, etc.)

They show a starter load of 12.2 gr of #7, with a max of 13.6. I was thinking of stopping around 13.2 (?). Comments?

Thanks, Art

headroom

Art,
i've loaded up 10mm with accurate No. 7 and Unique, they both worked well with whatever i loaded, 180 gr. lead SWC all the way up to the 200 GR. hornady XTP. The Accurate is pretty good, never had any problems with it, the accurate is a bit faster(according to data). I usually load a 180 gr. lead bullet at around 980 FPS to try and get a little more life out of the brass.

BigG

Accurate No. 7 works well in my Super .38. Also a .357 SIG 229 I briefly had before I traded it in for a 'man's pistol' (Gummint Model, of course!)

Haven't tried it in my Delta Gold Cup 10mm. Glad to meet another COLT 1911XX pistoleer! The 10mm shoots about like my S&W 41 Magnum (I formerly had)... Think it was a Model 57... Regards :D

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hey, thanks. Mr. Accurate sez that a little below his max of 13.6 gr. of #7 oughta go around 1,300 to 1,340 with a 150-grain bullet. Oughta be a nice social load.

Later, Art

flatlander

I've used a lot of AA#5 in my 10mm. It is closer to Unique in burning rate, and burns a little cleaner in the 10 than #7. I like #7 in my 38 Supers for making major for IPSC with either the 152 LSWC or the 150 CP Elite FMJ. If you can find any of the Win. Action Pistol, it might work for the 10mm also. I bought two 8lb. kegs of it from Widener's several years ago. Winchester's 14th Edition handbook shows a start load of 8.7gr for 1290fps, and a max of 9.8gr for 1395fps, with the 150gr JHP.