Loading the .30X.338

Huntzalittle

Hi
I'm new on here and have been going through several pages of past posts, but nothing on the topic I am looking for.
Does anyone have a "Pet Load" for a .30X.338?
I've been using 74gr of 4350 and a 180gr bullet. Its OK but would like to try something someone else is having good luck with.

Trapper L

I assume that you are talking about the 30/338 Mag. I have one in a Remington 40X single shot short action. With this factory bench gun should you have to unload an unfired round, you have to remove the bolt- it is a short action gun shooting a magnum length cartridge. This particular rifle was set up by Bob Pease before he died. He was the master of benchrest at the time. My bench loads are 62.0 grs IMR 4350 pushing a Winchester Match HPBT 190 Gr.which yields a consistant 2700'ps. I use the Federal 215 match primers and it is .0100 off of the lands. With the modified Leopold 6.5- 20 scope, it has shot several one hole groups at 100 yards. I also have a custom Sako action with an Apex target grade heavy varmint weight barrel 28" in the same cartridge. I use the Sierra 150 gr spitzers with 78.0 grs of H4831 which is just over 3400'ps out of this rifle. I have also played with the 110 gr HPs and you have to be careful with these are they won't make it to the target- they burn up before they get there. I use 70.4 grs IMR 4064 and that gets me 3850'ps. It is murder on coyotes out to 500 yds. This cartridge was very popular for the benchrest crowd at one time. It can over power most bullets and care must be used in loading or the bullets will mushroom in flight. I talked with the good folks at Sierra about my targets showing what appeared to be a vertical line of smoke above the bullet hole on the target. Per their tech, this cartridge can and will push a bullet so hard that a combination of the burning powder and compression will cause the core of the bullet to become liquid. The smoke lines I saw were actually part of the molten core as it hit the paper. I have shot several differnt types of bullets just to see how hard I could push them and I can tell you that it is kinda neat to see a light grey trail go down range about 50 yds and then nothing gets to the target. It just comes apart in flight. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I've been considering building another one but in a shorter barrel length suitable for carry hunting. The loading data here is for my rifles, use caution if you are wanting to duplicate as these are close to max and I recommend starting lower than the posted data and work up.