Loading manual recommendation

gunloony

Back in the 20th century I was a mildly experienced reloader but have been away from the game for a long time and an thinking about getting back in. I wonder if anyone can offer suggestions for a current loading manual. I have Lyman, Speer, Sierra, and Hornaday books, but they were all published before 1990, so there are some new components out there and likely some no longer available. Not to mention new cartridges, but those are not likely to be an issue as I plan to stick with my present traditional rounds, 30-06, 308, 5.56, .45ACP, and .357 Magnum.
Thanks.

higgite

Since you already know the basics, I'd start with manuals from the bullet manufacturer(s) that you are planning to use. Add more later if needed. I have Speer, Hornady, Sierra plus Lee and Lyman, and Hodgdon's annual manual. That might be overkill, but I don't regret having any of them. And the loading instructions that most of them provide would be a good refresher for you. Welcome back to the madness. ;)

serf 'rett

Yep, just get updates of the ones you found most helpful or you could find a friend with current manuals and check to see if there have been significant changes since your manuals.

PawPaw

For standard components, I use the online data available from the manufacturers. Both Hodgdon and Alliant have data online, and if you google around you can find data from some of the other manufacturers, most notably Sierra, which has some published data online at the Accurate Shooter website. I see that Nosler is putting up load data as well.

Nothing beats a good loading manual for quick reference, but the most current data today is online. I check the online sources, the double-check them against my dead-tree manuals as a quick check.

Mike-Mat

I generally dont buy "Name Brand" bullets. I buy bulk lead from Missouri bullets, Berry's Plated or Montana Gold Jacketed. So for me, I prefer the Lyman book. Books from a specific bullet mfg'er usually have their own descriptions that I have to decipher.